Question Case fans on one header have long delay on boot ?

Mar 18, 2023
So I have 10 Arctic P12 ARGB fans for my build. I have them daisy chained so that 3 of them are on my motherboard (Z790 Edge) sys_fan2 header, 3 on sys_fan6 header, and 3 in the cpu_fan header, and the last one by itself. I've noticed that sometimes the 3 fans on sys_fan6 have a long delay before they start spinning, while all other fans follow the normal spin at 100% speed on boot then settle into the BIOS fan curve. The headers on the mobo are rated a max of 1A on the system fan headers, and 2A on the cpu fan header. The P12s specs say that they're 0.11A each, so shouldn't the headers have a lot in reserve just running 3 fans max each? When I contacted MSI, support told me that sys_fan6 wasn't drawing enough power, so it's not starting as normal, and advised me to connect only one fan to each header, and that he highly advises against daisy chaining into headers.

I'm probably going to just get a fan hub just to make this easier since the cable management is a nightmare with this many fans, but can someone explain to me why the fans aren't getting enough power from one header? Am I missing something?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are right, the loads on each header are acceptable. You problem likely is in the configurations for the fan headers. First, recognize that what MSI does is that the CPU_FAN header is set by default to Auto Select its fan type, the PUMP_FAN header is set to PWM Mode, and all of the SYS_FAN headers are set to the older style DC Mode of controlling fan speed. You have not told us exactly which version of Arctic P12 ARGB fan you have, but I will assume they are the 4-pin PWM type.

I am not sure why you have three of those on the CPU_FAN header. IF they really are cooling the CPU (for example, on a rad from an AIO cooler system), then that IS the correct way for them.

The other seven are on SYS_FAN headers presumably for general case ventilation. The three headers involved all should be configured exactly the same, so check them. Unfortunately the mobo manual does not show details of the options there, but I can outline on a general basis.

PROFILE should be "Standard" or "Normal" - this is the strategy for deciding what speed the fans should run for a given temperature measured by a specified sensor on the mobo, and the pre-programmed "fan curve" is a good place to start. IF you decide to set your own custom "fan curve" under a different Profile choice, you MUST ensure that the minimum fan speed to be used at the lowest temperatures is not so slow that the fan will stall!

IF you have a choice of TEMPERATURE sensor to use, make this the MOTHERBOARD sensor, not the one inside the CPU.

Set the MODE to PWM for 4-pin fans, not DC. This is the type of electrical signals sent out to your fans to achieve the speed decided under the Profile setting (above) and should match the fan design.

IF you have a setting for the MINIMUM fan speed on each header, ensure it is set high enough that it will not try to stall the fans!

After you have adjusted all headers, remember to use Esc back to Main Menu, then F10 to get to the Exit Menu. There choose to SAVE and EXIT to save those settings and reboot.

Mar 18, 2023
You are right, the loads on each header are acceptable. You problem likely is in the configurations for the fan headers. First, recognize that what MSI does is that the CPU_FAN header is set by default to Auto Select its fan type, the PUMP_FAN header is set to PWM Mode, and all of the SYS_FAN headers are set to the older style DC Mode of controlling fan speed. You have not told us exactly which version of Arctic P12 ARGB fan you have, but I will assume they are the 4-pin PWM type.

I am not sure why you have three of those on the CPU_FAN header. IF they really are cooling the CPU (for example, on a rad from an AIO cooler system), then that IS the correct way for them.

The other seven are on SYS_FAN headers presumably for general case ventilation. The three headers involved all should be configured exactly the same, so check them. Unfortunately the mobo manual does not show details of the options there, but I can outline on a general basis.

PROFILE should be "Standard" or "Normal" - this is the strategy for deciding what speed the fans should run for a given temperature measured by a specified sensor on the mobo, and the pre-programmed "fan curve" is a good place to start. IF you decide to set your own custom "fan curve" under a different Profile choice, you MUST ensure that the minimum fan speed to be used at the lowest temperatures is not so slow that the fan will stall!

IF you have a choice of TEMPERATURE sensor to use, make this the MOTHERBOARD sensor, not the one inside the CPU.

Set the MODE to PWM for 4-pin fans, not DC. This is the type of electrical signals sent out to your fans to achieve the speed decided under the Profile setting (above) and should match the fan design.

IF you have a setting for the MINIMUM fan speed on each header, ensure it is set high enough that it will not try to stall the fans!

After you have adjusted all headers, remember to use Esc back to Main Menu, then F10 to get to the Exit Menu. There choose to SAVE and EXIT to save those settings and reboot.

I have the P12 PWN PST ARGB 0dB. The three fans on the cpu_fan header are mounted on the 360mm radiator. All the other fans connected to sys_fan headers are set on PWM at 60% speed minimum. It's only the ones connected to sys_fan6 that are stalling at the start. Either there's a problem with the header itself, or one of the fans in the daisy chain is defective. I'm going to swap the fans around later and check.