Question Case fans power consumption

imperial93

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
I have five case fans (three regular, two led fans) right now. I read fans consume not more than a few watts, but different sources say different values. My question is i'm thinking about adding 2 more led fans but i don't want to cause short. Should i fear for exceeding watt limit for psu?

Ralston18

Titan
Not likely - fans are low wattage components.

However, you need to add up and total the wattage requirements of all installed components. Current and being considered.

Use the high end wattages presented in the individual component specs.

Once totalled then add 25% to establish the required wattage baseline that the PSU must support.

There are a number of online calculators that can help you compute the totals. Use at least 2 or 3 to get some sort or overall confirmation of what wattage your computer requires.

And look into the existing PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition, etc.. An old PSU or low quality PSU, even if rated at the necessary wattage, can cause problems if forced to perform at the high end of its capabilities.

imperial93

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Not likely - fans are low wattage components.

However, you need to add up and total the wattage requirements of all installed components. Current and being considered.

Use the high end wattages presented in the individual component specs.

Once totalled then add 25% to establish the required wattage baseline that the PSU must support.

There are a number of online calculators that can help you compute the totals. Use at least 2 or 3 to get some sort or overall confirmation of what wattage your computer requires.

And look into the existing PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition, etc.. An old PSU or low quality PSU, even if rated at the necessary wattage, can cause problems if forced to perform at the high end of its capabilities.
Thanks for reply. I calculated in a few different websites, all results are around 370-380 at load, and 430-440 recommended, so it goes 550-ish after adding 25% according to what you say. I have 650w 80+bronze psu, its 7 years old. I guess extra 2 fans won't be a problem including its stable right now