Case fans, PSU, GPU turn on but system won't post

OzzyA

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Good day everyone,

This is my first post, so I do apologise if I've posted this in the wrong category.

The other day, I decided to switch out my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for a Corsair H100i v2. This required me to change my backplate back to the original AM3+ backplate that came with my motherboard. When I went to power my computer on, my PSU fan, GPU fans, case fans, and HDD (presumable SSD as well) all powered up- with the exception of my rear I/O ports (no lighting on my keyboard or mouse visible). My system did not post.

I've tried:
i) Removing CMOS battery for an hour and re-inserting it
ii) Using the other end of my 4+4 12v ATX connector
iii) Running the system without the 4-pin 12v ATX connector (still runs with all the same symptoms, no change in any device power)
iv) Unplugging and re-plugging all the modular cables (which happen to all be irrelevant to my situation anyways)
v) Re-seating every last one of my components, excluding my CPU
vi) Booting the system with my monitor plugged both into my GPU and onto my motherboard directly (with and without GPU installed)

After further investigation, I found that I had placed the AM3+ rear bracket backwards, resulting in the rear of the motherboard to come into contact with the backplate's two metallic ridges (see linked below). After flipping this backplate to the correct side, I continue to have this error.

Pictures:
Backplate's rear side: http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/water_cooling/H75/install/amd_backplate_sm.jpg

Backplate's front side:
http://noctua.at/media/wysiwyg/images/faqs/faq_amd_backplate.jpg

I've now narrowed this problem down to one of three things (closer to two):
1) The 4-pin 12v ATX connector shorted out and is not supplying power to the motherboard
2) The motherboard's capacitors shorted out due to the metallic surface on the rear side of the factory AM3+ backplate, resulting in no power supplied to either the CPU or the rear I/O ports
3) My CPU is dead (which I doubt since the CPU's life should not affect power delivery to rear I/O ports- if I'm not mistaken)

I have no voltmeter, so I've got no true way to test my power supply. I've also got no spare, working power supply so I can't really try anything in that department. I do have a spare motherboard lying somewhere in the abyss of my basement, and I'll update this post if I find and test the PSU on that board.

My question in this post is, what do you think the problem is, and what other troubleshooting options have I yet to exhaust? I heard somewhere that I can configure a fan to run off of a 12V ATX connector, but I don't know how to approach this.

System specs (I know, I know, I'll upgrade if my mobo ends up being dead):

CPU: AMD FX-4100 (bought day of release)
RAM: Mushkin Silverline 1333 2x4gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870
Motherboard: ASUS M5A7BL-M LX PLUS
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb
HDD: Some HDD I salvaged and formatted from my old Macbook Pro
PSU: Corsair CX600M
Case: Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and reply to this thread. I would not have posted this had I not run out of options. I'm by no means a computer whiz, but I'd say I'm techy enough to understand how all my components work and I understand the engineering of most my components.

Update: I took a 12V fan's cables out of its connector and stuck one paperclip into the 12V connector of the ATX cable and another into the ground lead. This way, I was able to connect the fan to the 12V ATX connector and determined that the fan did indeed spin. I have a new motherboard, processor, and RAM coming in on Tuesday, so I will update this to confirm if the board has indeed shorted out.