Question Case fans rattle/whirring

Nov 23, 2019
I've recently built a new PC and after a little working I've finally today got everything finished. The final touches were replacing the stock front 3 fans with some MasterFan MF120R argb's.

Since doing this earlier today, I've instantly noticed that some of the OTHER fans (two on the top) are making a slight rattling noise, and there's a whirring noise that I've noticed intermittently too. The whirring noise seems to coincide with the case vibrating slightly at the same time.

I'm not sure if just didn't notice these noises before as the front three fans weren't previously PWM controlled, but are now, so it's noticeably quieter.

The only other moving parts are my CPU cooler which is a MasterAir M620m and my GPU which is an ASUS ROG STRIX 2070 Super OC (has 3 fans). My case is a CoolerMaster MB530P.

I'm posting here to ask for troubleshooting steps that might help? I don't think the fans have faulty bearings or anything as they're all around a month old at the most (I know this doesn't rule anything out).

Nov 23, 2019
I did think it might've been that but couldn't stop the rattling, only the humming that occurs every so often so may have to live with that...

I've been stopping/starting fans in my BIOS and it seems to the two top exhaust fans that are making a slight rattle noise. They're the only two that are horizontal so at least there's some consistency...

It seems to be either just at low RPM or covered by the increase in noise once the speed kicks up. They do have rubber contact points on them but I tried re-seating them and nothing seems to have changed. May just try to get some replacements and see if they're any different, hopefully not an issue with this model of fan across the board.

TRENDING THREADS