Question Case fans, RTX 3050 ?

Ararauna

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Recently bought a RTX 3050 and it reaches 77-82C after several minutes of gaming. I installed one intake and one exhaust fan.

Another thing, what is this panel below the SSD that's covering the front fan? Can it be used to attach parts, like SSD brackets (on the same note but out of topic - would I mount another SSD there or could I use HDD space above?) or can I cut an opening because it looks like quite a block to airflow?
Screenshot-20230524-123556.jpg

This is the case, a cheap one http://www.gtt-cn.com/product-info.php?ptid=1315
After some testing it seems that fans lower the GPU temperature only by some couple degrees and I will try different setups in BIOS, but now removing the side panel seems to be more effective to GPU (up to 74-77C ) temperature but I'm not that into constantly removing it and allowing dust in. Are such temperatures normal for a single fan 3050 and a cheap case? Would it make sense to use a mesh side panel instead of a solid one?

Last edited:
Recently bought a RTX 3050 and it reaches 77-82C after several minutes of gaming. I installed one intake and one exhaust fan, when I chose the temp source as PCIE it didn't seem to work and the fans would stay at idle set RPM in both PWM and DC mode, even if I set 100% RPM at 60C, but with source as 'System' they do reach 2000 RPM, why would that be, is the PCIE slot not heating up (or as fast as system), or something else? I though that should be close to the GPU temp?

Another thing, what is this panel below the SSD that's covering the front fan? Can it be used to attach parts, like SSD brackets (on the same note but out of topic - would I mount another SSD there or could I use HDD space above?) or can I cut an opening because it looks like quite a block to airflow?
Screenshot-20230524-123556.jpg

This is the case, a cheap one http://www.gtt-cn.com/product-info.php?ptid=1315
After some testing it seems that fans lower the GPU temperature only by some couple degrees and I will try different setups in BIOS, but now removing the side panel seems to be more effective to GPU (up to 74-77C ) temperature but I'm not that into constantly removing it and allowing dust in. Are such temperatures normal for a single fan 3050 and a cheap case? Would it make sense to use a mesh side panel instead of a solid one?
No, not normal temps for that class of GPU. That case looks very restrictive to air flow and cooling Does it have those fans ? Seems like a fan on the panel would help a lot

MSI A520m pro, yes it does, I have a NVME installed.
You could also use an adapter like this in your bottom PCIe x1 slot to install another M.2 drive and save on cables and space required for 2.5" SSD. It may not work at full NVMe speed but will still be faster than SATA and prices are about same.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
this is a m-atx case with 120 mm fan in front restricted with the metal mesh panel anda 80 mm fan in the back so airflow is realy poor if you could get a better case with more air flow option like front and top with back so you could use more fans to reduce temp in system and gpu .

Ararauna

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
You could also use an adapter like this in your bottom PCIe x1 slot to install another M.2 drive and save on cables and space required for 2.5" SSD. It may not work at full NVMe speed but will still be faster than SATA and prices are about same.
Seems like an option, thanks.
this is a m-atx case with 120 mm fan in front restricted with the metal mesh panel anda 80 mm fan in the back so airflow is realy poor if you could get a better case with more air flow option like front and top with back so you could use more fans to reduce temp in system and gpu .
I see, I don't trust myself on reassembling a PC though, never done that, think I'll try to cut it, thanks for reply.

Latest posts