[SOLVED] Case fans running at lower RPM? Any fix?

Apr 1, 2020
Motherboard - MAXIMUS VIII GENE

I recently bought Artic P12 Value Pack 1800 RPM 3 PIN case fans. But have a problem, only one is running at max speed while the rest are at 1600 RPM. I tried manually increasing all to max, but it didn't work. Fans defective? Not enough power?

Q5Y3tk.jpg
LecQ9I.jpg

Solution
Fan 1 is fastest. Fan 4 is slowest. Swap those fan headers temporarily. If it's a fan issue (the fans are rated at 1800rpm ±5% (that's 90rpm and assumes a full, even 12v not 11.9v), then the fans will maintain the same approximate speeds they have now (1752/1662) with the different header. If it's a motherboard power delivery issue, then the fans will swap speeds (1662/1752) instead.

But do understand that you bought a 5pack value kit of some of the cheapest case fans around. They might be decent performers, but they aren't perfect.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

However, I have a question: are the fans configured to change speeds with respect to the cooling requirements?

The fan may simply not be at max speed because doing so is not necessary.

What temperatures are you seeing?

Are you able to swap fans around? Determine if the low speed follows the fan or stays with the fan's location.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
See your mobo manual on p.3-37 where it shows how to configure your four CHA_FAN headers. I'm a little confused because you are asking about a 3-pack of fans, but your screen shot shows speed for four fans. Anyway ...

For EACH of the four CHA_FAN headers you need to check and adjust three things. First, your screen shot shows all of them a DISabled, and you should set each to
DC Mode for your 3-pin fans. (IF you have a 4-pin fan on one of these headers, set that one to PWM Mode.) For each header, set the CHASSIS FANn SOURCE to use the temperature sensor on the MOTHERBOARD, and not the one in the CPU. For CHASSIS FANn PROFILE, set each to "Standard" so it will automatically control your fans' speeds according to that temperature sensor. When you have made all your adjustments, use Esc to get back to main menu, then the F10 key to reach the Exit Menu, and from there choose to SAVE CHANGES and RESET.

When you do this, all of those fans should run at about the same speed since they are identical and will all receive the same signals, and they will not be running full speed. They will change from slower at cool start-up to faster when you work harder. If you actually want to force them all to run full speed all the time, set that last Profile item to "Turbo" instead.

Apr 1, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

However, I have a question: are the fans configured to change speeds with respect to the cooling requirements?

The fan may simply not be at max speed because doing so is not necessary.

What temperatures are you seeing?

Are you able to swap fans around? Determine if the low speed follows the fan or stays with the fan's location.

Motherboard - Maximus VIII Gene (Flashed BIOS)
CPU - i3 6100 OC to 4.2ghz
GPU - 5600xt Sapphire Pulse
RAM - 4x4gb Ballistix OC to 2666mhz
PSU - Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze (Good Condition)

Oops sorry for the late replay. I actually don't know how to update thread or if it's to late as it's been 2 weeks. Anyhow my psu is a Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze. Had it for around 3 years, my temps are around 40c idle and 70c - 75c at full load. I configured my fans to be set at full speed, yet only one maxes out while the rest drop 100 RPM. Moving the fans around had the same the problem.

Apr 1, 2020
See your mobo manual on p.3-37 where it shows how to configure your four CHA_FAN headers. I'm a little confused because you are asking about a 3-pack of fans, but your screen shot shows speed for four fans. Anyway ...

For EACH of the four CHA_FAN headers you need to check and adjust three things. First, your screen shot shows all of them a DISabled, and you should set each to
DC Mode for your 3-pin fans. (IF you have a 4-pin fan on one of these headers, set that one to PWM Mode.) For each header, set the CHASSIS FANn SOURCE to use the temperature sensor on the MOTHERBOARD, and not the one in the CPU. For CHASSIS FANn PROFILE, set each to "Standard" so it will automatically control your fans' speeds according to that temperature sensor. When you have made all your adjustments, use Esc to get back to main menu, then the F10 key to reach the Exit Menu, and from there choose to SAVE CHANGES and RESET.

When you do this, all of those fans should run at about the same speed since they are identical and will all receive the same signals, and they will not be running full speed. They will change from slower at cool start-up to faster when you work harder. If you actually want to force them all to run full speed all the time, set that last Profile item to "Turbo" instead.

Sorry for the late reply. I bought 5 case fans that are 3 pin (Value Pack). I set my fans how you told me and put the profile on Turbo. Yet my fans still have the same problem except they are closer to 1800mhz now. Highest fan is 1752 RPM, 2nd is 1744 RPM, 3rd is 1704 RPM, and 4th is 1662 RPM. At this point I'm okay with these RPM, I don't think 100 RPM makes such a big difference. I just wanted to know what the issue was. I'm pretty sure now it's a motherboard problem as I flashed my bios and OC a non k cpu. Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fan 1 is fastest. Fan 4 is slowest. Swap those fan headers temporarily. If it's a fan issue (the fans are rated at 1800rpm ±5% (that's 90rpm and assumes a full, even 12v not 11.9v), then the fans will maintain the same approximate speeds they have now (1752/1662) with the different header. If it's a motherboard power delivery issue, then the fans will swap speeds (1662/1752) instead.

But do understand that you bought a 5pack value kit of some of the cheapest case fans around. They might be decent performers, but they aren't perfect.

Solution
Apr 1, 2020

Ahhh so it was a fan issue. I swapped the lowest RPM fan for the 5th fan and now 2 fans are 1800+ RPM and the other 2 fans around 1750+ RPM. Thanks :)

x0eg2y.jpg