SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
Hey so im building mt first gaming pc and im buying the new Corsair Obsidian 500d SE case wich comes with 3 LL120mm fans. and so for the rest of the fans ill get 1 fan on the back and 2 fans all in one cpu cooler on top. now my question is, is it matter what size they are? like 120 or 140? because the case itself comes with 3 fans 120mm. so i thought to myself that maybe if ill get a larger size fans for the cpu cooler and the back fan, like 140 instead of 120, that will do a better cooling job. but then i saw some builds vidoes that ppl put the smaller 120 mm fans instead of the 140mm and i was really confused. what are the 140mm used for?

Does the additional fans's size has to match to the front built-in fans that comes with the case?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
In an ideal situation, it's best if you had all fans be of the same size, specs and RPM to maintain airflow in any case. Some cases will need higher RPM fans to draw in air depending on how their intake is designed while almost all cases will have unrestricted airflow as exhaust.

140mm fans are wider, and their rotation moves more air per revolution when compared to a 120mm counterpart, when you compare the same fans models(not sizes) side by side. More air for less revolution would mean less wooshing noise.

SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
Im buying the corsaid obsidian 500d se rgb and it comes with 3LL 120 MM fans. in adittion to that im getting cpu cooler with 2 LL fans on top. now my question is, can i put on the back of the case 1 fan from the new corsair series "QL" 120mm? or i should stick to the LL series.

Your case comes with three nice rgb front intake fans. I see no good reason to change them out.
I might add a single 120mm rear exhaust fan to direct the airflow.

What will be your cpu?
Are you seeking maximum overclocks?
If not, I suggest a top air cooler like the noctua NH-D15
The black edition looks nice, but you would be paying a hefty price premium now.
There are other good options if black is a must-have.

It will cool as well as a 280mm aio, be quieter and will not leak.

SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
Your case comes with three nice rgb front intake fans. I see no good reason to change them out.
I might add a single 120mm rear exhaust fan to direct the airflow.

What will be your cpu?
Are you seeking maximum overclocks?
If not, I suggest a top air cooler like the noctua NH-D15
The black edition looks nice, but you would be paying a hefty price premium now.
There are other good options if black is a must-have.

It will cool as well as a 280mm aio, be quieter and will not leak.

Cpu will be the i9 i9900 k, and im not sure if ill go for overclocking. maybe in the future if ill ever need idk

TRENDING THREADS