Case fans speed up then won't slow down!

FrozenMildew

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
So I just built a new PC, first build completely from scratch, everything booted up and worked like a charm.. build is.

Gigabyte Z68x-UD3H
MSi Twin Frozr 7870
i5-2500K @ 4.2 GHz
HAF 912
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
OCZ ZT750 Watt Bronze PSU
500GB WD Caviar Black

So when I game, all temps are good, CPU doesn't even go above 58C at 4.2 GHz in a 7 Hours Prime95 test, GPU is stock and hasn't passed 55C gaming.

But for some reason when I game, Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, Starcraft 2, Witcher 2, whatever.. The case fans (I'm assuming) speed up and get extremely loud. I know it's not the GPU, but not sure if it's the case fans or CPU fan. I'm assuming case fans as running Prime95 and Furmark didn't make the CPU fan speed up.

Once I leave the game they won't slow down until I reset.

I downloaded speedfan but can't seem to solve the problem in there, I'm not even entirely sure what I'm looking for.

This is the only problem I have and it's driving me nuts!

Solution
Probably the PSU.

Games consume more power than any individual test, since they use preety much everything the computer has... cpu, ram, videocard, all buses

So you should probably open and check your PSU, blow it from dust the best you can and make sure it's getting enough cold air to the intake.

A quick search on google reveals that you're not the only one with a noisy ZT750.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Probably the PSU.

Games consume more power than any individual test, since they use preety much everything the computer has... cpu, ram, videocard, all buses

So you should probably open and check your PSU, blow it from dust the best you can and make sure it's getting enough cold air to the intake.

A quick search on google reveals that you're not the only one with a noisy ZT750.

Solution

FrozenMildew

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
By the way thanks, that's obviously the answer. Because in speed fan the case and CPU fans did not appear to be speeding up, and as you said, a quick google search shows me it's the PSU. The PSU honestly just never crossed my mind.

Can close the topic.