[SOLVED] Case fans spin up without temp spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
Just upgraded to an i7 12700k and a new Z690 Mobo, and the CPU idles at around 35-38 which is nice, but every few minutes the case fans will increase to what sounds like 100% for about 10 seconds and the spin back down. I have HWInfo open and it doesnt show an increase in CPU temps. I have the case fans on a curve so that they sit at 20% until around 60*+ and the CPU is not hitting that so i am very confused :/

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard? Z690 is the chipset while Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA, MSI and even Biostar make boards with said chipset. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your platform, did you reinstall the OS after you upgrade ? Make and model of your fans and how they're tethered to the motherboard in your build?

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your platform, did you reinstall the OS after you upgrade ? Make and model of your fans and how they're tethered to the motherboard in your build?
BIOS Version: F7 (had to upgrade to the lastest to get M.2s working
I had to do a clean install of Win10 as I had an issue with RAM so thats all new.
Fans: Corsair SP120 RGB Elites, one connector attached to SYS_FAN3 on mobo, linked to a fan controller

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Think about this. One important function of any mobo fan header is to monitor the speed of its fan for FAILURE - that is, no fan speed signal coming back, or maybe a signal lower than some threshold you can adjust in BIOS Setup. IF the header detects such a failure, its first action is to change the signals to that fan to go to full speed so it WILL re-start reliably. IF that still does NOT produce a fan speed signal coming back, then it puts a warning message on your screen so you know about the failure. BUT if the fan does re-start, then the signal to it is returned to where it was before the event.

I suspect you have set your fan's minimum speed too slow so that it actually does stall. When that happens, it is re-started successfully, then returned to its previous state which results in stalling again. Repeat. So, open your case and watch. Does the problem fan actually stall, then speed up to re-start, then slow down? If so, you need to go into BIOS Setup for that header and increase the minimum speed setting for low temperatures - you say it is set now to 20%. An increase will prevent frequent stalling.

Another possibility: IF you actually can specify a minimum speed limit on the header for the fan(s) with this problem that is interpreted as a failure, MAYBE that limit is set too high. When you watch the fan, does it NOT stall, just speed up for a few seconds then slow down again? It MAY be that the limit it set too high so that a stable low speed that does not actually cause the fan to stall is mis-interpreted as a failure. In that case IF you can specify that alarm low limit, change it.

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
Think about this. One important function of any mobo fan header is to monitor the speed of its fan for FAILURE - that is, no fan speed signal coming back, or maybe a signal lower than some threshold you can adjust in BIOS Setup. IF the header detects such a failure, its first action is to change the signals to that fan to go to full speed so it WILL re-start reliably. IF that still does NOT produce a fan speed signal coming back, then it puts a warning message on your screen so you know about the failure. BUT if the fan does re-start, then the signal to it is returned to where it was before the event.

I suspect you have set your fan's minimum speed too slow so that it actually does stall. When that happens, it is re-started successfully, then returned to its previous state which results in stalling again. Repeat. So, open your case and watch. Does the problem fan actually stall, then speed up to re-start, then slow down? If so, you need to go into BIOS Setup for that header and increase the minimum speed setting for low temperatures - you say it is set now to 20%. An increase will prevent frequent stalling.

Another possibility: IF you actually can specify a minimum speed limit on the header for the fan(s) with this problem that is interpreted as a failure, MAYBE that limit is set too high. When you watch the fan, does it NOT stall, just speed up for a few seconds then slow down again? It MAY be that the limit it set too high so that a stable low speed that does not actually cause the fan to stall is mis-interpreted as a failure. In that case IF you can specify that alarm low limit, change it.
I'll give it a check, on my last Mobo I had the fans idling at 20% and it seemed fine? The fans dont begin to stall when they go faster so ill have a look at the limits and see if anything can be rectified!

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016

Just adjusted to be set at 40% and still getting a similar issue :/

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
At 40% min speed the fans certainly should NOT be stalling, nor should the mobo header think that it is running too slow. Can you verify visually if they actually do stall briefly? I would suspect not. One other item to check. Look for a loose connection where the fanb;s power cable plugs into the mobo header. Unplug and then re-connect each fan several times. A loose or dirty connection can interfere with reliable delivery of a perfectly good speed signal to the header.

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
At 40% min speed the fans certainly should NOT be stalling, nor should the mobo header think that it is running too slow. Can you verify visually if they actually do stall briefly? I would suspect not. One other item to check. Look for a loose connection where the fanb;s power cable plugs into the mobo header. Unplug and then re-connect each fan several times. A loose or dirty connection can interfere with reliable delivery of a perfectly good speed signal to the header.
After checking them on both HWinfo and just staring at them they don’t stall whatsoever, so I may instead bypass the fan hub and try just motherboard headers and see if that fixes anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS