Question Case fans wires

Jan 17, 2020
Hello guys im building my first pc and i got a case with 4 pre installed fans but the wiring is different than what i saw online so im hoping someone can help me this is a pic of the wires for the fans
https://imageshack.us/i/pn17mBimj
+ the fans are 4
Mobo is asus prime b450 mAtx

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
what is it you need help with... your question is kinda vague .. The picture shows 3 or 4 pin connectors.. and a Molex connector.. simply plug them into the proper headers on the motherboard or buy a fan Hub and connect all in sync.. not knowing the case and only knowing some starlight gammex.. I found this info Starlight-B-Blue

Jan 17, 2020
what is it you need help with... your question is kinda vague .. The picture shows 3 or 4 pin connectors.. and a Molex connector.. simply plug them into the proper headers on the motherboard or buy a fan Hub and connect all in sync.. not knowing the case and only knowing some starlight gammex.. I found this info Starlight-B-Blue
Yes that is the case but never mind guys i plugged all similar ends wires and everything worked but i will keep my distance in case somthing burns 😂

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
just dont do what some have and plug both power connectors in and you should be ok … that seems to be such a common oops.. people see a 3(or 4) pin connection as well that Molex and plug BOTH IN … DONT DO THAT... simply choose either the 3(or 4) pin connection.. or Molex, and you can even run several linked threw the Molex power and the first Fan be linked direct to Motherboard threw the 3 or 4 pin.. the link I provided does show a fan chart on how they should be setup. ive set mine up in past like this... fan 1 was connected to the 4 pin on board... fan 2 then connected to fan 1 threw Molex.. Fan 3 connected to fan 2.. threw Molex.. and so on... just dont push how many fans per header.. I stick with 3or 4.. (normaly 3 if RGB or LED) and 4 if just basic fans.

Jan 17, 2020
just dont do what some have and plug both power connectors in and you should be ok … that seems to be such a common oops.. people see a 3(or 4) pin connection as well that Molex and plug BOTH IN … DONT DO THAT... simply choose either the 3(or 4) pin connection.. or Molex, and you can even run several linked threw the Molex power and the first Fan be linked direct to Motherboard threw the 3 or 4 pin.. the link I provided does show a fan chart on how they should be setup. ive set mine up in past like this... fan 1 was connected to the 4 pin on board... fan 2 then connected to fan 1 threw Molex.. Fan 3 connected to fan 2.. threw Molex.. and so on... just dont push how many fans per header.. I stick with 3or 4.. (normaly 3 if RGB or LED) and 4 if just basic fans.
I dont know if i did it right but the fans wires i have is split into two one is connected to a cable that goes to the front panel connectors and the other is going to the molex connectors and the pins arent 4 or 3 actually they are 2 i thought they were broken but i looked at another fan and it was the same

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The fans aren't designed to be controlled by the motherboard. They are setup to be controlled by the fan speed selector switch on the top of the case.

In the manual, it should show exactly where the connection for that switch goes, my guess is it is molex, and then on the other side of the switch there'll be several fan connections. All 4 of the fans will probably go there as they are LED fans, and that switch is most likely 7v-9v-12v, so the leds will dim with lower speed fans.

With as minimal as airflow seems to be from that acrylic cover, you'll probably just set it on high and leave it there anyway.

Jan 17, 2020
The fans aren't designed to be controlled by the motherboard. They are setup to be controlled by the fan speed selector switch on the top of the case.

In the manual, it should show exactly where the connection for that switch goes, my guess is it is molex, and then on the other side of the switch there'll be several fan connections. All 4 of the fans will probably go there as they are LED fans, and that switch is most likely 7v-9v-12v, so the leds will dim with lower speed fans.

With as minimal as airflow seems to be from that acrylic cover, you'll probably just set it on high and leave it there anyway.
I dont have a manual but the fans were already plugged to eachother and everything when i got the case the only thing i did was to plug front panel connectors and the molex to the fans that were already plugged to each other now they work so am i good to go? :/

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well if they work and your happy with how they workl.. then yep Id say your good to go.. and like I mentioned the info (link) I sent does show a proper fan configuration .. and they do seem to all plug into this central hub then that hub to power.. you may just not be able to control speeds etc.. but as mentioned youll probably just leave them as default anyway.

Jan 17, 2020
well if they work and your happy with how they workl.. then yep Id say your good to go.. and like I mentioned the info (link) I sent does show a proper fan configuration .. and they do seem to all plug into this central hub then that hub to power.. you may just not be able to control speeds etc.. but as mentioned youll probably just leave them as default anyway.
Ok thank you guys really appreciate all the help :)

TRENDING THREADS