[SOLVED] Case Fans

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I've recently built my first pc in a Spec-04 and have everything set up so far besides the fans

I was looking at these fans but I realized that they are 140mm and I can only fit 2 at the front but I want 5 120mm in total

I'm also not sure how to configure my fans, my case by default supports 2 120's at the front but if I remove the HDD cage it can fit 3 120's and I want 2 as exhaust

Are there any fans yall would recommend that aren't too expensive as money is tight but also have decent to pretty good airflow? Even better if they have red led's to go with my build but I care more for airflow than looks

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Solution
There is an option in Amazon for the fans you have already looked at for 120mm. Just check the box 120mm. They are decent for airflow and would match your aesthetics. High end fans would push above 70 CFM, these Corsair are rated for 52.19 CFM which is not bad for their price.

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
There is an option in Amazon for the fans you have already looked at for 120mm. Just check the box 120mm. They are decent for airflow and would match your aesthetics. High end fans would push above 70 CFM, these Corsair are rated for 52.19 CFM which is not bad for their price.
I saw that but when I select those a single fan goes for $17 and since I want 5 fans. 17 x 5 = 85 a bit too much for fans to me

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
These rosewill fans are inexpensive but work well:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00552Q8CM/ref=twister_B07FG7SBS9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have 4 of them (and a 140 mm) in my case now.
I had the exact same fans in this case since 2010 and just replaced them when I upgraded my rig in November 2018.
The old fans still work (except for a few led's) and I used them in a i7-870 rig I threw together using parts I had laying around.
The specs are listed here:

Solution

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00552Q8CM/ref=twister_B07FG7SBS9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I had the exact same fans in this case since 2010 and just replaced them when I upgraded my rig in November 2018.
The old fans still work (except for a few led's) and I used them in a i7-870 rig I threw together using parts I had laying around.
How good are these?

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019

I've been thinking,,...,., wouldn't it be better to just get something like Corsair's ML lineup as they last a long time with their ML bearing and I wont have to replace them as often as those rosewill or arctic fans? Making them the cheaper in the long run

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
^ That's certainly up to you But those Rosewill fans were running 24/7 for 8 years in my rig and are still working, only now they are in an i7-870 rig I threw together.
And they aren't the quietest fans around But they do move a LOT of air.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Generally, ppl only change fans because of aesthetics or performance, they want rgb or ARGB or a different color or more cfm. Most ppl don't change fans because they died. Most pc's will be obsolete before a decent fan dies and they may or may not switch the fans over.

I've got fans in an old AT style case with a PentiumII 350 that are 20 years old and still run.

Reactions: DMAN999

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Generally, ppl only change fans because of aesthetics or performance, they want rgb or ARGB or a different color or more cfm. Most ppl don't change fans because they died. Most pc's will be obsolete before a decent fan dies and they may or may not switch the fans over.

I've got fans in an old AT style case with a PentiumII 350 that are 20 years old and still run.
How about these, I'm a little skeptical about how many my motherboards headers can support

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have 3 case fan headers on my motherboard and 2 of them are connected to 1 fan and the other is connected to 2 fans with a splitter (y cable).
Personally I would not recommend connecting more than 2 fans to a single header.

PS
Please choose a post as the Best Answer of I or someone else here solved your issue.

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I have 3 case fan headers on my motherboard and 2 of them are connected to 1 fan and the other is connected to 2 fans with a splitter (y cable).
Personally I would not recommend connecting more than 2 fans to a single header.

PS
Please choose a post as the Best Answer of I or someone else here solved your issue.
on Arctic's site it says that the fans use 0.24A of power to theoretically they should be fine on a 1A fan header, but the problem is that I don't know how much power my fan headers can deliver

I already chose your Rosewill fans post as the best answer

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those are PWM fans, so if used with a powered fan hub you can use upto 10 of them on a single header. If using a 4way splitter, you'd want a powered version, or 3 by just the header. Applies to every header, so if you have cpu + 3, you can run upto 40 fans. 5 is easy to work as you want to keep them in groups. So 2 or 3 by splitter for intake, 1 or 2 for top exhaust, 1 for rear. No worries at all.

All regular case fan headers are rated at 1A, however there are differences. In the uber budget models I'd not count on more than 0.8A or 0.9A as max, and some motherboards actually over spec and have headers that reach 2-5A, but those are usually designed with full custom loop intentions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The headers are 1A on that board.
2way splitter = fine (2x0.24=0.5A)
3way splitter = fine (3x0.24=0.75A)
4way splitter = use 4way powered, exceeds 1A
6/8/10way hub = connect hub to header only for pwm signal, hub is powered by molex/Sata.

Header ratings are so universal, they aren't even bothered putting it in the manual. Same with Sata or molex or USB possible voltages, power etc. The only times you'll ever see mention of header capacity is if it's non-standard, such as the 2A capable headers used for cpu_pump or other such and thats usually prominent info as it's used like RGB headers as a selling point.
"Look, this brand X! Mobo has 5x sys_fan headers and 1x special 2A cpu_pump header designed especially for water cooling pumps!"

Last edited: