[SOLVED] Case Fans

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
I have a phantek p350x case that im curious to see opinions about fan setup. I have 4 antec tricool fans from a old build and the phantek fan that came with the case. i have the antec fans two on intake two on the top then the phantek fan on the back. Im wondering if there is a more efficient way of setting these up. According to the tricool specs on high speed it pushes 79cfm of air.
I am considering a couple of things
  1. Buy one more tricool fan for the back
  2. or slowly getting noctua fans to replace the tricool fans

I'm eventually going to get a noctua NH-U12S chromax for my processor. I realize it may be overkill but i like to keep stuff cool as possible. My temps while gaming which i only do 1080p on ultra 144hz is about cpu - 59c (3600x random spikes then drops, normal ive read) gpu - Max is 62c
Here is my setup
3600x ryzen 5
MSI tomahawk
16gb 3200 ballistix
EVGA 650w gold
MSI RTX 2070 Ventus
Phantek p350x case

Is there anyway i can set these fans up to get even more efficiency?

Solution
What would be the easiest way to measure this?
There isn't one. Without an actual graph of the fan curve, such as the below image for the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM:
ImageServer.php

We have no way to know how a fan performs below the max speed, other than what we already know: "The CFM, noise, and pressure are lower."
Fans can vary quite a bit:
-models that don't move a ton of air until they are running 1500-2000rpm or over. Sometimes called 'performance, or high performance' fans. Can be loud for some people.
-models that excel at moving air at lower rpms, but usually have low max rpms to begin with, thus do not really have any extra...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
According to the tricool specs on high speed it pushes 79cfm of air.
That's only one part of the whole picture. It's too bad the majority of fan manufacturer's don't post graphs for their fans. All we have available is the specs for a fan at it's maximum rpm and then we 2nd-guess from there...
The problem is that most people don't run their fans at the max on a regular basis.
What are the rest of your fans' specs?
-Max rpm
-Fan pressure
-Noise(dBA)

I'm eventually going to get a noctua NH-U12S chromax for my processor. I realize it may be overkill but i like to keep stuff cool as possible.
It's not overkill.
Just like there are diminishing returns with running a 2080Ti on 1080p, there same applies to coolers as well.
Overkill for that cpu would've been running a 280-360mm AIO on it, only to see it perform like 1-2C better at max load than a NH-U12S.

There's really not much more you could do to influence temps in the case, as you're pretty much running the best setup:
2x front intake
1x rear exhaust
Top depends on the model of the cooler. When running 2 or more fans in the top panel and using an air cooler, you want to avoid the scenario where the 1st top fan is pulling cool air out of the case before it even gets to the cooler.

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
That's only one part of the whole picture. It's too bad the majority of fan manufacturer's don't post graphs for their fans. All we have available is the specs for a fan at it's maximum rpm and then we 2nd-guess from there...
The problem is that most people don't run their fans at the max on a regular basis.
What are the rest of your fans' specs?
-Max rpm
-Fan pressure
-Noise(dBA)

Max that all the tricool fans hit is a little over 1900 rpms. The cpu cooler (stock wraith) is running at 3000 rpms when gaming. and the back phantek fan is running about steady 1250rpms. As far as fan pressure and dBA just have specs to go off of. What would be the easiest way to measure this?

It's not overkill.
Just like there are diminishing returns with running a 2080Ti on 1080p, there same applies to coolers as well.
Overkill for that cpu would've been running a 280-360mm AIO on it, only to see it perform like 1-2C better at max load than a NH-U12S.
There's really not much more you could do to influence temps in the case, as you're pretty much running the best setup:
2x front intake
1x rear exhaust
Top depends on the model of the cooler. When running 2 or more fans in the top panel and using an air cooler, you want to avoid the scenario where the 1st top fan is pulling cool air out of the case before it even gets to the cooler.

So when i do get the U12S i need to dim the front top fan down some. Would it benefit me to take the phantek fan and put it top front and take the tricool and put it in the back that way more air is getting pulled to the back across the cpu? Im thinking about just ordering one more tricool to replace the phantek one

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What would be the easiest way to measure this?
There isn't one. Without an actual graph of the fan curve, such as the below image for the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM:
ImageServer.php

We have no way to know how a fan performs below the max speed, other than what we already know: "The CFM, noise, and pressure are lower."
Fans can vary quite a bit:
-models that don't move a ton of air until they are running 1500-2000rpm or over. Sometimes called 'performance, or high performance' fans. Can be loud for some people.
-models that excel at moving air at lower rpms, but usually have low max rpms to begin with, thus do not really have any extra 'umph' to offer. For the 'silence-focused'.
-models that are a balance of the above - basically a 'jack of all, master of none' kinda thing. Considered a premium over the other 2 and usually cost more as well.
-models that are just plain terrible all around, but they cost like 5USD or something...
-models with the fancy RGB. Can fit any of the above, but are usually worse in performance(slightly). Those lights DO increase power consumption, and to keep it within a certain range, manufacturers tend to snip a little off the max rpm.

So when i do get the U12S i need to dim the front top fan down some. Would it benefit me to take the phantek fan and put it top front and take the tricool and put it in the back that way more air is getting pulled to the back across the cpu? Im thinking about just ordering one more tricool to replace the phantek one
Sounds like a good plan. Just remember to reduce the new Tricool's fan speed when you get it so it isn't overshadowing the NH-U12S's fan.

Solution

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
models that don't move a ton of air until they are running 1500-2000rpm or over. Sometimes called 'performance, or high performance' fans. Can be loud for some people.
-models that excel at moving air at lower rpms, but usually have low max rpms to begin with, thus do not really have any extra 'umph' to offer. For the 'silence-focused'.
-models that are a balance of the above - basically a 'jack of all, master of none' kinda thing. Considered a premium over the other 2 and usually cost more as well.
-models that are just plain terrible all around, but they cost like 5USD or something...
-models with the fancy RGB. Can fit any of the above, but are usually worse in performance(slightly). Those lights DO increase power consumption, and to keep it within a certain range, manufacturers tend to snip a little off the max rpm.

Yeah the rgb stuff is nice but I'm all about efficiency and practicality. I thought about getting some noctua fans but I'll wait til some of these fans die off. I've had these fans since 2014.

Sounds like a good plan. Just remember to reduce the new Tricool's fan speed when you get it so it isn't overshadowing the NH-U12S's fan.

Ok I'll make sure to do that 👍 thanks for taking time to answer some of my questions.

I do have one more question. so the back of the p350x they redesigned according to a phantek tech that they left the vertical mount completely open no plate or anything. Well since my graphics card fans r spinning at 3000rpms while gaming, it sucks a lot of air from that hole not to mention draws dust. I'm trying to figure out a way to at least filter it. So I thought about buying some mesh and making my own filter for it. Unless there is something I can buy. Right now it's rigged with my microfiber cloth packed in it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Some dust is inevitable.
The card will draw air from both the front and rear; the bottom isn't possible due to the psu shroud.

I'm pretty sure a filter for the rear is a DIY project, but filtering the vertical mount alone won't do much except for allow for less air through the rear - you would have to filter the PCIE slots too, since they aren't filtered.
If you go through with the project, compare the gpu's temps now to after.