Question Case front usb port defective?

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I have a problem regarding my front USB port casing. My old WIFI adapter suddenly don't work when I plug it in and I though maybe my old WIFI adapter broke so I grab another WIFI adapter then plug it in. The brand new WIFI adapter was so hot to touch and still don't work my conclusion is the USB port was defective. What is the cause of this overheating USB port?

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
It could be a power supply issue.
I would run HWInfo and look at your power supply voltages.
The main ones are +12, +5 and + 3.3. They should be withing 5% of those values.
I would keep an eye on the 5V one especially.

Is this correct the highlighted one? What I need to keep eye on it?

KYo6mbM.png

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
USB device getting a bit warm when plugged in is normal but overheating, to the point that it's actually hot to touch? can be a power issue.

Have you tested the WiFi adapter/dongle in another USB port? If it gets hot in all of them that's probably the USB dongle itself getting hot. If it only gets hot in that specified front panel port it might indicate a problem with the port.

Have you inspected inside the USB port? Ar the leads intact or mangled and deformed by any chance?

Reactions: xfri
They look good.
Although the only reason I can think of for it to get hot is that the +5V is too high at the port.
I think this could be an issue with the motherboard.
I would try and check the voltage at the port itself.
It needs to be +5V within 5%.
There are some ways to do this.
Google "checking usb port voltage".
If it's 5V.....I don't think your adapter should get hot.

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
They look good.
Although the only reason I can think of for it to get hot is that the +5V is too high at the port.
I think this could be an issue with the motherboard.
I would try and check the voltage at the port itself.
It needs to be +5V within 5%.
There are some ways to do this.
Google "checking usb port voltage".
If it's 5V.....I don't think your adapter should get hot.

I will test the actual computer that having a problem. The photo I gave you is my perfectly fine working computer.

I will also try this one

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
USB device getting a bit warm when plugged in is normal but overheating, to the point that it's actually hot to touch? can be a power issue.

Have you tested the WiFi adapter/dongle in another USB port? If it gets hot in all of them that's probably the USB dongle itself getting hot. If it only gets hot in that specified front panel port it might indicate a problem with the port.

Have you inspected inside the USB port? Ar the leads intact or mangled and deformed by any chance?

Yes I already tried it to another port and another computer my WIFI adapter didn't work at all it just got broke. Yeah maybe it's a none known brand of computer case and power supply maybe that's why I am having an issue with the front usb port but at the motherboard usb port everything seems fine (for my current obeservation).

Yes I already tried it to another port and another computer my WIFI adapter didn't work at all it just got broke. Yeah maybe it's a none known brand of computer case and power supply maybe that's why I am having an issue with the front usb port but at the motherboard usb port everything seems fine (for my current obeservation).
If the voltage was significantly higher than 5V (when the adapter got hot) I think it probably fried the adapter.

How do you the port is fine at the MB?

I can't see it being fine at the MB and not fine at the port on the case.

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
If the voltage was significantly higher than 5V (when the adapter got hot) I think it probably fried the adapter.

How do you the port is fine at the MB?

I can't see it being fine at the MB and not fine at the port on the case.

I just plug my flash drive at the back of the MOBO the flash drive works fine. But when I plug my WIFI adapter at the computer case front usb port my wifi adapter got broke.

I just plug my flash drive at the back of the MOBO the flash drive works fine. But when I plug my WIFI adapter at the computer case front usb port my wifi adapter got broke.
I would still check the voltage. It could be that the voltage is high....but not high enough to mess up your flash drive but high enough to fry your adapter.

It could be the port on the front has a higher voltage than the port on the back of the MB....but I tend to doubt it as I think the USB ports all should get their voltage from the same source.

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I would still check the voltage. It could be that the voltage is high....but not high enough to mess up your flash drive but high enough to fry your adapter.

It could be the port on the front has a higher voltage than the port on the back of the MB....but I tend to doubt it as I think the USB ports all should get their voltage from the same source.

Yeah that what I also though because I tried my computer mouse, keyboard, USB type B then unplug them for several minutes they are not hot to touch and seems to work fine. Never tried my wireless mouse because it's hard to replace and costly.

I will double check both back and front usb port just to make sure.

I will post again for results. Thanks for your help.

Yeah that what I also though because I tried my computer mouse, keyboard, USB type B then unplug them for several minutes they are not hot to touch and seems to work fine. Never tried my wireless mouse because it's hard to replace and costly.

I will double check both back and front usb port just to make sure.

I will post again for results. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You can check USB voltages using a digital multimeter.

An easier way would be to test it using USB testers like these which look like any USB flash drive (maybe a bit bigger) you plug them in the port, plug your USB device into them and they show how much voltage and amperage the port is providing (basically show the voltage going through them).

You say other flash drive works on the motherboard back ports and the WiFi dongle doesn't work in the front panel port. This actually doesn't eliminate the possibility of the WiFi dongle or the front panel port being faulty. You have to test the WiFi adaprter/dongle in both front and back panels, if you haven't already.

Does the WiFi adapter work now in any port or not?

Aldo how does the WiFi dongle behave in the back/motherboard port? Does it get as warm/hot? If it does it's probably the dongle itself; bad design or faulty etc. If not it might be the front panel port might be faulty (especially if the panel is one with active electrical components).

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Update test front/back usb ports using multimeter and HWInfo result was 5.1 volts looks everything fine. Now I'm confuse but my conclusion maybe because it's a faulty front usb cable or faulty PSU additional for not known brand that's why the time I plug it in it gave inconsistent volts.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you tested the voltages and they're stable at around 5-5.1 volts it's not the port and probably the WiFi adapter/dongle which gets warm of its own accord and not because of the port.

Plus once a USB device is inserted in any USB port and it is identified, that is, it actually introduces itself to the system with the port, or 'enumerates' itself on the port; it's the system with the port that regulates the voltage/amperage that is given to the USB device based on the settings for which the standard is 5 volts.

If this only happens with the WiFi adapter/dongle and not with other USB devices like flash drives in the front or back ports I think it's probably the dongle that's faulty.

xfri

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
If you tested the voltages and they're stable at around 5-5.1 volts it's not the port and probably the WiFi adapter/dongle which gets warm of its own accord and not because of the port.

Plus once a USB device is inserted in any USB port and it is identified, that is, it actually introduces itself to the system with the port, or 'enumerates' itself on the port; it's the system with the port that regulates the voltage/amperage that is given to the USB device based on the settings for which the standard is 5 volts.

If this only happens with the WiFi adapter/dongle and not with other USB devices like flash drives in the front or back ports I think it's probably the dongle that's faulty.

So then it's just a coincident that my old WIFI adapter and my new WIFI adapter also broke at the same time.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
So then it's just a coincident that my old WIFI adapter and my new WIFI adapter also broke at the same time.

Not very likely but possible. HWiNFO is software and software readings of voltages are not that accurate and reliable.

But you said you tested with a multimeter and voltages were OK. If other USB devices such as USB flash drives work properly and don't get "hot" in any of the back or front USB ports I think it's probably the WiFi adapter/dongle itself at fault. If both were the same brand and model it's more probable, maybe a faulty design or bad quality or just sheer bad luck.

Also I asked you in post #14 if the WiFi adapter/dongle works or not and you didn't explicitly answer that. Now you say both broke. If by "broke" you mean it's faulty/not working chances are there are issues like a short circuit inside the adapter/dongle or other faulty parts like the controller chips and antenna components that make it run hot.

Is the PSU to blame for them failing, maybe, maybe not. However, it's actually the motherboard that (via controller chips) controls and runs the USB ports and connected devices and gives them power. You mentioned "not known brand", do you mean the PSU or the WiFi adapter/dongle? If the PSU is not a good quality I'd suggest you get a good quality unit which is adequate for your setup. So what are you full specs including the make and model of PSU?

As I said in post #4 it's probably the USB adapter/dongle that's faulty here and the problem is probably not caused by the motherboard/PSU/port.