CASE MODS: Removing a screwless hard drive cage?

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Okay so I'm in the process of building another computer and I've found a tower that I'm pretty fond of; it's the Rosewill THOR V2!!! Anyways, I've looked around and found out that the hard drive cage is not removable and is pinned down with those flat drive pins (not sure what they're called). I'm pretty new at case modding and this would probably be my first project.

I know a lot of you out there are hardcore case modders and would like to know if any of you have had any experience or knowledge about removing those little drill pins that keep the cage in place. Here is a pic of what I'm trying to remove... there's no screws so answers involving unscrewing something will be useless.

THANKS! :)

7771796558_065815cfde_z.jpg

Solution
Welcome to the wonderful world of modding... the fasteners you are describing are called pop rivets. To remove them , you'll need to drill them out using a drill bit just smaller than the pin size of the rivet. The top ones will be tricky but, fortunately for all involved, they use very soft metal in those rivets and it is actually possible to drill them by hand (just don't apply much pressure if doing it by hand as the bit will grab, then it becomes quite a bit harder to do)
Welcome to the wonderful world of modding... the fasteners you are describing are called pop rivets. To remove them , you'll need to drill them out using a drill bit just smaller than the pin size of the rivet. The top ones will be tricky but, fortunately for all involved, they use very soft metal in those rivets and it is actually possible to drill them by hand (just don't apply much pressure if doing it by hand as the bit will grab, then it becomes quite a bit harder to do)

Solution

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, I've thought about using a drill bit to just drill them out; just needed someone else to chime in with the same idea... I have an older case that I could practice on before I get down and dirty with the actual case I want to use. I have a Dremel with a pretty small bit that I could use; hopefully it turns out well!

Thanks for the quick response C12!!!