[SOLVED] Case optimised for airflow with large HDD capacity?

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys

Is there a case optimised for airflow with large HDD capacity?

I'm planning on a 3950x build with air cooling (it's a work PC so won't go down AIO route) and I need lots of HDD capacity - 5 or so would be great.

I've looked at the Phanteks p400a and it has capacity for 2 HDD + 4 optional ones. But the 4 optional ones are on brackets that place them in the way of the front intake fans.

In fact most cases I've seen that have lots of HDD slots, have them in the way of the front intake fans.

So what do you do if you want good airflow, air-cooled CPU and lots of HDD? what available?

Regards, Andrew

Solution
Hi guys

I'm planning on a 3950x build with air cooling (it's a work PC so won't go down AIO route) and I need lots of HDD capacity - 5 or so would be great.

I've looked at the Phanteks p400a and it has capacity for 2 HDD + 4 optional ones. But the 4 optional ones are on brackets that place them in the way of the front intake fans.

In fact most cases I've seen that have lots of HDD slots, have them in the way of the front intake fans.

So what do you do if you want good airflow, air-cooled CPU and lots of HDD? what available?

Regards, Andrew

Hi @fobos8

Kinda depends on your budget. Do you plan on the traditional 7200 rpm HDD or SSD's/M.2's? Last week I...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi guys

Regards, Andrew

Hi @fobos8

Kinda depends on your budget. Do you plan on the traditional 7200 rpm HDD or SSD's/M.2's? Last week I built a friend a system based on the 3950x & paired it with an MSI X570 Godlike mobo which supports 3 m.2's in the mobo itself with a riser PCIe card for an additional 2 M.2's for a total of 5.

I then paired it with a Lian Li 011 Dymanic case which had room for 10 case fans and 2 built in hot-swap SSD bays for a total of 4 SSD's That's a total of 9 storage drives.

These are hidden in the back of the case, easily accessible without having to remove any of the cases panels.

The Noctua NH-D15 fits, which is arguably one of the best air coolers if not THE best, though you may need to get the free kit from Noctua that turns the heatsink sideways depending on how close the PCIe slot is next to it on whichever mobo you get.

A little more info please.

Solution

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi guys

Regards, Andrew
Fractal Design Node 804 micro
Phanteks Pro M
Obsidian Series™ 750D

Reactions: fobos8

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
thanks for posting dimtodim

The Phantaks Pro M and 750mD look really good. Just what I was looking for - large HDD storage and good airflow too.

Thanks, Andrew

TRENDING THREADS