Question Case or Low end system?

Tom_77

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
I currently have a Dell Optiplex 790 SFF, i upgraded it in the past with a GTX 1050ti and some more DDR3 RAM, recently I've been considering an upgrade, i asked on the forums about the possibility of upgrading to a i7-2600 but i was told it was probably time to invest in a newer, more upgrade-able system rather than throwing my money at a system i'd out grow in a year.

I've been considering my options and i think the best option would be to buy a mid range DELL system such as the Optiplex 390 mini tower, i could then transfer over my GPU and have plenty of room to add a new PSU and later upgrade my CPU, since i have limited budget i was going to buy a fairly low end Optiplex 390 tower and just transfer across the majority of parts from my old system.

My questions are:
-Is this a good idea or would i be better of just buying a case (This wouldn't be ideal)?
-Do you have any systems you would recommend that are fairly cheap but easily upgrade-able?
-Would a Dell Optiplex 390 Mini tower have support for things such as more modern i7's and a decent amount of RAM?