[SOLVED] Case: Overclocking gone wrong, what could be the problem?

Feb 27, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am in urgent need of help,

My specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YTXDHh

I tried to overclock my pc yesterday and went into my bios to follow a guide I had found. I switched some things off and changed some values from auto to a static number wich was in the guide (like voltages and memory frequincy's, I personaly think the latter [mucked] me up), I then tried to overclock using the frequency multipliers cranking my fx8350 instantly to 5Ghz. ( I now know this was a retarted thing to do, [oh deary] me right?) This caused my pc to no longer boot or even reach Bios at all, it does'nt send anything to the monitor causing it to say "no signal" and generally giving me a really bad time.

I started scouring pc fixing forums to fix it myself and soon found out I just had to reset the bios by jumping the Cmos battery. I tried that and that fixed my problems except I thought I had made a mistake with the memory frequincy (which I probably did) and started Oc'ing again setting my Cpu at 5.1Ghz, and memory frequincy from auto to what I thought was stock ( I saw on guides you could bring your 8350 to 5Ghz easily sooo... still very stupid, I know) same thing happened... except this time.... the cmos jump... it didnt work.

I started googling again and found out that you should reset your bios without the memory in the system. Tried that, didnt work. Found a guy that said that I should hold reset and power button for 15 secs to get bios to factory settings, didnt work. So at this point I was pretty confident I wasn't going to fix this myself.

TLDR: OC went bad system on but not displaying anything (prob mem(set it too high prob) and cpu freq), tried resetting Bios once. Worked. OC'd again (this time mem on stock and cpu freq way up) PC not displaying anything again. Tried cmos reset again, this time it didnt do anything. Pls help.

Mod - watch the language

Solution
If you followed that tutorial and opened up the llc the voltage would have been higher than what you mentioned so it looks like we don't know what it actually was when it fizzled. Do you know exactly what watts the CPU draws at each vCore and clock frequency and how by how much llc increases the voltage then you can guess what it might have been. The sabertooth with llc on one notch above regular which is 25% and current capability of 110% which is one notch above regular rather than 'ultra high' can give a whole 0.05 volts so x4 for the biggest boost and it might go all the way up to at least 1.5.

Since it only happened when you saved to the bios and restarted it must have been the voltage too high and...
What do you expect to happen jumping straight to 5, any guide will tell you small increments.

So you've attempted extreme OCing 3 times on the trot with the last time with the cpu frequency 'way up', with no monitoring of temps, i'd give you a 95% chance you've killed the mobo.

What guide did you follow?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
What do you expect to happen jumping straight to 5, any guide will tell you small increments.

So you've attempted extreme OCing 3 times on the trot with the last time with the cpu frequency 'way up', with no monitoring of temps, i'd give you a 95% chance you've killed the mobo.

What guide did you follow?

I monitored temps while on 4.3ghz and mobo never reached 40degrees celcius. Youre right I didnt follow the guide because I jacked the cpu to 5ghz directly. But I read somewhere that its hard breaking hardware without changing voltages, so do you think given that, that there is still a way to fix it?

DavidM012

Distinguished
In essence you tried to overclock with an inadequate cooler and psu.

550w psu isn't enough to overclock the 8350 it can pull up to 360w oc'd which I think is an accurateish figure because the 4350 pulls 180w so double the cores, double the trouble. Combined with your GPU you could have exceeded the psu's wattage though it doesn't sound like you put the system under load maybe you get a spike in power consumption at boot or windows logon or something and that did for it. It's a 550w psu but probably in reality can supply less than that. There is no margin for error and you did indeed make an error.

The psu wasn't your only problem. The cooler is nowhere near good enough for a 5ghz overclock on the fx. It could also have overheated don't tell me what vCore you tried to apply I guess it was over 1.55v suffice to say there is also a possibility that you over volted the cpu as well as over-heated it.

You should get beep codes from the mobo if it's alive unless the psu is dead so it's difficult to guess precisely which component fried and at least one did indeed fry.

The problem now is probably either the cpu, mobo or the psu, or all of them however before you throw any more money at it I'd consider ditching the adventure and buying a newer system.

I know that people come here at the lowest point in their computing lives there's no easy way to break the news your core system is v.possibly d.e.d dead

You could try replace psu with an 850w version as your cheapest option but we can't tell if something else fried at this juncture.

It wouldn't be worth trying to replace mobo & cpu since the 990fx boards still command something of a premium 2nd hand. A high quality 850w isn't cheap neither.

You should also be looking at a high end cooler like the corsair h100 or 150 with the 360mm radiator. for the fx 8350 So where is it all going? $200-$250 repair is much of the way to $400 for a new core system (cpu mobo ram +psu) that will easily exceed the fx overclock in any case. At least the chassis survived. You can re-use that. and the GPU might be ok.

So, you spend another 99$ on a psu, and if that doesn't work 300$ more on a new core system, cpu mobo and ram. The mem. might have survived but it won't be compatible with ddr4 anyway. Or also consider switching to an intel system, whatever fits your budget for a working pc.

I'd try a new psu first since you'd probably need one for a new system anyway, but if that doesn't work, $pend. There is no free way to fix it.

Don't try another overclock with a 550w psu and only a 4 pipe cooler. There is practically no point in splashing out for a humungous larger cooler like the noctua nh-d15 if you're going to consider a new system with a lower tdp, unless you plan to overclock that as well.

If you are prone to try to go blam and hit the max overclock I would buy an excessively large psu and cooler so that it is relatively dummy proof. Better still forget you heard about overclocking until you learned something about it.

NOTHING can stop you from entering a vCore in the bios that is too high that might kill the CPU apart from KNOWLEDGE. You desperately need to learn some.

Don't do it again with your new system. if you can afford it. I have No Suggestions for a budget pc you'll have to start another thread. Oh yes and windows if you can recover your key and M$ lets you transfer it maybe/maybe not you are looking at

$250-$300 for higher end psu & cooler to see if the system survived and try again overclocking the fx 8350.

$400-$700 for new core system & windows or somewhere thereabouts.

It will cost you more than necessary to dabble with the overclock is what I'm trying to say. You needed to know that before you pressed any buttons. But you're be better off with a large cooler anyway since you would probably try to overclock the next system

Do not try to apply an FX vCore to a Ryzen or intel CPU it WILL be too high and will fry your system (again). Forget fx Vcore and do not exceed vCore 1.3volts on your new system whatever it might be

Do not not try to overclock it without at least reading about the Max Recommended overclocked vCore for whatever CPU you buy next if you do. And Never Exceed recommended limits!

Is the PC equivalent of a drunk driver totaled at a roundabout?! The wreckage. The coroner. The post mortem. The verdict. The tears. Ah.

Feb 27, 2019
In essence you tried to overclock with an inadequate cooler and psu.

550w psu isn't enough to overclock the 8350 it can pull up to 360w oc'd which I think is an accurateish figure because the 4350 pulls 180w so double the cores, double the trouble. Combined with your GPU you could have exceeded the psu's wattage though it doesn't sound like you put the system under load maybe you get a spike in power consumption at boot or windows logon or something and that did for it. It's a 550w psu but probably in reality can supply less than that. There is no margin for error and you did indeed make an error.

The psu wasn't your only problem. The cooler is nowhere near good enough for a 5ghz overclock on the fx. It could also have overheated don't tell me what vCore you tried to apply I guess it was over 1.55v suffice to say there is also a possibility that you over volted the cpu as well as over-heated it.

You should get beep codes from the mobo if it's alive unless the psu is dead so it's difficult to guess precisely which component fried and at least one did indeed fry.

The problem now is probably either the cpu, mobo or the psu, or all of them however before you throw any more money at it I'd consider ditching the adventure and buying a newer system.

I know that people come here at the lowest point in their computing lives there's no easy way to break the news your core system is v.possibly d.e.d dead

You could try replace psu with an 850w version as your cheapest option but we can't tell if something else fried at this juncture.

It wouldn't be worth trying to replace mobo & cpu since the 990fx boards still command something of a premium 2nd hand. A high quality 850w isn't cheap neither.

You should also be looking at a high end cooler like the corsair h100 or 150 with the 360mm radiator. for the fx 8350 So where is it all going? $200-$250 repair is much of the way to $400 for a new core system (cpu mobo ram +psu) that will easily exceed the fx overclock in any case. At least the chassis survived. You can re-use that. and the GPU might be ok.

So, you spend another 99$ on a psu, and if that doesn't work 300$ more on a new core system, cpu mobo and ram. The mem. might have survived but it won't be compatible with ddr4 anyway. Or also consider switching to an intel system, whatever fits your budget for a working pc.

I'd try a new psu first since you'd probably need one for a new system anyway, but if that doesn't work, $pend. There is no free way to fix it.

Don't try another overclock with a 550w psu and only a 4 pipe cooler. There is practically no point in splashing out for a humungous larger cooler like the noctua nh-d15 if you're going to consider a new system with a lower tdp, unless you plan to overclock that as well.

If you are prone to try to go blam and hit the max overclock I would buy an excessively large psu and cooler so that it is relatively dummy proof. Better still forget you heard about overclocking until you learned something about it.

NOTHING can stop you from entering a vCore in the bios that is too high that might kill the CPU apart from KNOWLEDGE. You desperately need to learn some.

Don't do it again with your new system. if you can afford it. I have No Suggestions for a budget pc you'll have to start another thread. Oh yes and windows if you can recover your key and M$ lets you transfer it maybe/maybe not you are looking at

$250-$300 for higher end psu & cooler to see if the system survived and try again overclocking the fx 8350.

$400-$700 for new core system & windows or somewhere thereabouts.

It will cost you more than necessary to dabble with the overclock is what I'm trying to say. You needed to know that before you pressed any buttons. But you're be better off with a large cooler anyway since you would probably try to overclock the next system

Do not try to apply an FX vCore to a Ryzen or intel CPU it WILL be too high and will fry your system (again). Forget fx Vcore and do not exceed vCore 1.3volts on your new system whatever it might be

Do not not try to overclock it without at least reading about the Max Recommended overclocked vCore for whatever CPU you buy next if you do. And Never Exceed recommended limits!

Is the PC equivalent of a drunk driver totaled at a roundabout?! The wreckage. The coroner. The post mortem. The verdict. The tears. Ah.

I set the Vcore to 1.3v and NB-Core to 1.2, wich I saw in a tutorial were safe stock values for my CPU. Furthermore, the system does turn on and all lights, fans in the system ( including mobo lights ) and the optical drive starts scanning for discs. Would you mind telling me how my PSU could have died from this?

Also I'm not planning on throwing any money at it considering that I still have my old mobo, cpu, psu and memory laying around with wich I can test, to see what components are actually faulty.

DavidM012

Distinguished
If you followed that tutorial and opened up the llc the voltage would have been higher than what you mentioned so it looks like we don't know what it actually was when it fizzled. Do you know exactly what watts the CPU draws at each vCore and clock frequency and how by how much llc increases the voltage then you can guess what it might have been. The sabertooth with llc on one notch above regular which is 25% and current capability of 110% which is one notch above regular rather than 'ultra high' can give a whole 0.05 volts so x4 for the biggest boost and it might go all the way up to at least 1.5.

Since it only happened when you saved to the bios and restarted it must have been the voltage too high and pulled too much current for the psu and mobo. Dunno if it has any safety features that prevents unsafe settings but even if it does maybe they didn't even work in time to prevent any CritH.

Sad day. Moving on, my be Quiet fans showed up from amazon snatched from the jaws of the warehouse bin so I'm going to try and shut this noise the regular way!

Solution
Be sure to do the CMOS jumper, pull the CMOS battery, AND unplug the power from your system.
Leave it this way for 15 mins minimum.
Put the jumper back, put the CMOS battery back, plug it back in, and try to power on.

If that doesn't get you any signs of life - RIP.

TRENDING THREADS