[SOLVED] Case Power Connectors, HDD Lights, etc

Sep 27, 2020
I have tried plugging them into the motherboard with the arrows on the connectors pointing at positive or at reset or power instead of ground and all the PC does is turn on without pressing the button and then turn off. It will turn on and work if I press the power button on the board so I know its these connectors or how i'm plugging them in causing me issues. I have already broken one motherboard trying to get the connectors to work. I have done this many times with no issue and am not sure why i'm having an issue with this case. Any advice or ideas on how to fix this would be amazing! My case is a Cougar Panzer Max Ultimate full tower and the motherboard is now a Prime Z390-a. I wasn't sure if this should be under cases or motherboards
Thank you for any help!
Ryan

Solution
Only plug that matters is the HD led + and - must follow the MB manual.
Just for reference I see the - wire is white so I'd reference all the white to Negative/common.
It does not matter with the reset or power switch because they are switches, usually momentary ( only shorted when pressed) Test by pressing - measure with an ohmmeter 0 ohms pressed, infinite open.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I have tried plugging them into the motherboard with the arrows on the connectors pointing at positive or at reset or power instead of ground.

Why are you attempting to do that versus following the connectors keying and pin alignments?

You cannot force fit in connectors and if you have already broken one motherboard then something is certainly wrong.

More information needed.

What PSU are you using: make, model, wattage? Have you been using cables from another PSU?

Are you able to take some photographs of the connectors you are trying to connect and where you are trying to connect them?

Reference:http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Sep 27, 2020
It isn't anything to do with the PSU my old case worked just fine when I plugged in the power, hd light, reset switch, power lights. Plus it boots fine when I disconnect the connectors and press the power button on the motherboard. I am following the connectors keying and pin alignment so that is not the issue unless the arrow is for ground which is not what the manual says. The mother board says for example Reset and then next to it Ground and the connectors on the other side have an arrow pointing to the hole on one side of the 2 pin connectors. The old motherboard broke because of how it was being booted on and off and a capacitor got ruined that one is gone now and doesn't matter. As with most motherboards they connect in the very bottom right but when I plug then in with the guide or without they just boot the pc without me pressing anything and then turn it off. My bet is the connectors are shorted out in the case and that is why its doing that but I was asking because I was thinking maybe there was something I might be missing here.

14-hh-kgx-2.jpg

Sep 27, 2020
I will check with my multi meter when I have access to my PC tomorrow. Like I said I have connected these many times before with other computers and have never had an issue but thanks for the picture. I'm 90% sure it's not how I'm connecting them but something else all I can think of is that they are shorted. If anyone else knows what else it could be please let me know. Thank you

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I will check with my multi meter when I have access to my PC tomorrow. Like I said I have connected these many times before with other computers and have never had an issue but thanks for the picture. I'm 90% sure it's not how I'm connecting them but something else all I can think of is that they are shorted. If anyone else knows what else it could be please let me know. Thank you
Leave everything off except connect the power switch. If it still does it then switch the power switch button and try the reset switch connector for the power switch.

It does sound like just a bad power switch.

dimtodim

Reputable
I have tried plugging them into the motherboard with the arrows on the connectors pointing at positive or at reset or power instead of ground and all the PC does is turn on without pressing the button and then turn off. It will turn on and work if I press the power button on the board so I know its these connectors or how i'm plugging them in causing me issues. I have already broken one motherboard trying to get the connectors to work. I have done this many times with no issue and am not sure why i'm having an issue with this case. Any advice or ideas on how to fix this would be amazing! My case is a Cougar Panzer Max Ultimate full tower and the motherboard is now a Prime Z390-a. I wasn't sure if this should be under cases or motherboards
Thank you for any help!
Ryan
if u dont connect correctly + and - u will have problem on board...use user manual u get that with motherboard and case and connect that properly

Sep 27, 2020
Leave everything off except connect the power switch. If it still does it then switch the power switch button and try the reset switch connector for the power switch.

It does sound like just a bad power switch.
I have tried just doing the power switch and it still did that but I will try the rest switch tonight or tomorrow thank you!

if u dont connect correctly + and - u will have problem on board...use user manual u get that with motherboard and case and connect that properly
I read the manual and did it both ways when it didn't work, that's probably what ruined my old motherboard.

Only plug that matters is the HD led + and - must follow the MB manual.
Just for reference I see the - wire is white so I'd reference all the white to Negative/common.
It does not matter with the reset or power switch because they are switches, usually momentary ( only shorted when pressed) Test by pressing - measure with an ohmmeter 0 ohms pressed, infinite open.

Solution