Case / PSU Problems

G

I have just upgraded my PC and as part of that bought a new ATX case. However I notivced that when I turn the PC off, the Num
Lock light is still lit on the keyboard. I have also discovered that unlike my old ATX case there is no ATX power button on the back of the case. Does this mean that I should switch my PC off at the mains plug for complete safety so I do not overheat the processor etc?

Many thanks

Jon

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
ATX PSU's maintain a 5v supply to the motherboard when in 'soft-off' mode, so they can support features such as wake on lan or modem.

Some BIOS's allow a keyboard code to be specified to turn on the PC, rather than hitting the power button (this is why you have noticed the kbd is still 'live' when the machine is off. A useless feature, but kinda cool.

As to switching it off at the wall, it won't make a jot of difference to the processor.

Personally, I do switch the PC's off at the wall overnight, I'm sure many people don't bother.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
yes, some keybpards have a power on and a power off button, normally operated by holding down a Fn key or similar. I personally very rarely power down my pc never mind unplug it!!, but if you dont use it very often then theres no harm unplugging it from the mains.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers