Apr 5, 2004
This is what i am building
Athlon X2 3800
ASUS AEN-E mobo
XFX 6800 GS
2 gigs ram
...now I'm so torn between cases, it's not even funny
http://www.overclockersonline.com/index.php?page=articles&num=316&pnum=7
I like the AMMO 533, but i read it's pretty heavy and it's got a little too much silver in the front, otherwise not bad.
The 3 main sources where I would get my case and power supply are...
http://www.logiccomputerhouse.com/site/main.php?module=catalog&catID=149
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1509&
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=CS.664

Morph

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
What do you want to do with your computer?

- Are you a FPS gamer? If so, you want a case that will help you pwn n00bs.
- Are you a MMO gamer? Then you will want a case that helps with your uber chat skillz and gain levels quickly.
- Do you listen to alot of music and watch movies? Why not get a case that makes your music and movies more exciting?
- Is productiveity important? Then a case with a good spell checker might float your boat.

As you can see, there are many differnt things that can influence your choices in selecting components and software in your computer. Selecting the best case is probably the least important. Just get something that will hold all of the parts inside and has some decent cooling.

A case is a box! It's whats on the INSIDE that counts!

RichPLS

Champion
I still prefer the old school Lian Li PC-60plus case type...
It is one of the most modded cases around, and best thing about it is compact and light yet spacious and sturdy... has all the quality and functionality wrapped in a clean well laid out aluminum box with an excellent airflow design... plus a removable mobo tray and a internal removable 5 hard drives cage, front Firewire/USB/audio connectors etc...
Plus, if you want to mod it, you got plenty of others to create ideas from since many are posted with details from users worldwide...

jacob

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004

- Are you a MMO gamer? Then you will want a case that helps with your uber chat skillz and gain levels quickly.
- Do you listen to alot of music and watch movies? Why not get a case that makes your music and movies more exciting?
- Is productiveity important? Then a case with a good spell checker might float your boat.

As you can see, there are many differnt things that can influence your choices in selecting components and software in your computer. Selecting the best case is probably the least important. Just get something that will hold all of the parts inside and has some decent cooling.

i agree, but just wanted something relatively good, for airflow and ability to carry.
was considering what you have Aspire X-Qpack, but not sure about airflow and heat dissipation.
how is your computer running in that lil box

jacob

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
I still prefer the old school Lian Li PC-60plus case type...
It is one of the most modded cases around, and best thing about it is compact and light yet spacious and sturdy... has all the quality and functionality wrapped in a clean well laid out aluminum box with an excellent airflow design... plus a removable mobo tray and a internal removable 5 hard drives cage, front Firewire/USB/audio connectors etc...
Plus, if you want to mod it, you got plenty of others to create ideas from since many are posted with details from users worldwide...

except, i don't want to spend more than $150 for a case, Lian Li's are expensive for my taste.
I'm not a modder by any means.
I'd rather spend modding coin on the parts that run the computer ie - RAM, video cards, etc :)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I like the AMMO 533, but i read it's pretty heavy and it's got a little too much silver in the front, otherwise not bad.

Most of the silver on the front is on the 5" bay covers. Depending on the plastic used, they might spray paint well - but then they might not and/or paint might easily come off. I like the handle and the front dust filter.

Morph

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004

i agree, but just wanted something relatively good, for airflow and ability to carry.
was considering what you have Aspire X-Qpack, but not sure about airflow and heat dissipation.
how is your computer running in that lil box

I originally bought the x-Qpack cases because they were cheap, came with a PSU, and match my room fairly well. Once I got them up and running I'm very well satisfied. They look small, but actually have plenty of room inside. You do have to use a micro-ATX mobo, but there are some decent choices out there. How many people really use more than 4 expansion slots anyways? The PSUs are 420 watts and haven't blown up so far. And....I see that www.newegg.com has a rediculously low price on them today as a 1-day sale @ $60 after MIR. They have a huge fan in the back that lights up and sucks plenty of air out.

*note* I did have a minor problem with one. The back of the power switch was not insulated well against the aluminum chassis and was shorting out periodically causing reboots. I was able to fix it with a piece of tape though. Smooth sailing ever since!

jacob

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Well i definitely don't have the micro-atx mobo.
Got the ASUS AEN-E.
Aww well, that's cool it worked out for you :)
Guess i'll stick to mid-tower this time around.

RichPLS

Champion
They are $100 with no windows, but 2 x 120mm fans (1 blowing across HD's, and 1 rear blower exhaust), 1 x 92mm fan (top blowhole), and 1 x 80 mm fan (rear intake) with chrome duct blowing cool air on CPU heatsink.
or
$125 with side panel window otherwise same specs.

As for carrying, a PC strap works fine, case is light and sturdy.