Question Case Sites Still Showing Discontinued Models

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
I've been looking for a case for my current build, and I've been having a tough time, partially because I have (perhaps) some unusual requirements. But every time I think I've found a case that meets my requirements, I find out that it's been discontinued.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I think I might end up starting a thread for listing discontinued models to make it easier for folks to find current cases.

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
What unusual requirements do you have then? 😁
3-4 HDD Bays - I only need one HDD at the moment, but I'd like to be prepared for future storage needs
3 ODD Bays - I'll only use 2 ODD bays for optical drives, but I'd like to have a third bay free for either a card reader, USB hub, or a new interface (i.e. USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 4.0).
2+ USB 3.0 ports - It's unbelievable how many cases only have one
Power button and I/O near the top of the case - I keep my PC on the floor due to noise and also because I don't have room on my desk
Two Front fans - For maximum airflow
Mesh in front - For maximum airflow

I know I've got two things for airflow, but the components I've picked out (Ryzen 3600, RX 5700) likely generate a lot of heat. Plus, if I fill all the HDD bays, I figure I'll need a little extra oomph to get the air moving past the HDDs.

I also don't want to spend more than $50-80. Though, my absolute maximum is $120 (including shipping).

Last edited:

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
What unusual requirements do you have then? 😁
Right at the top end of my budget, I was looking at the Rosewill Nighthawk 117, but I changed my mind after seeing a number of reviews on NewEgg that warned about faulty wiring, fires, smoking, and a faulty HDD dock. Or is it possible that the number of faulty units could actually be pretty low and and most of the reviews were written by the minority of people who received faulty units?

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Same here. I have a nice optical drive/recorder that I still occasionally use. And once I installed a drawer in one of the bays (screw driver, extra flash drives/SD, adapter, extra gaming keyboard keys) it's hard to just "let it go".

Thermaltake, for example, has some nice cases that fit my upgrade desires. But even though many are listed on their website like they are current, most are discontinued.

Reactions: macgeek

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Same here. I have a nice optical drive/recorder that I still occasionally use. And once I installed a drawer in one of the bays (screw driver, extra flash drives/SD, adapter, extra gaming keyboard keys) it's hard to just "let it go".

Thermaltake, for example, has some nice cases that fit my upgrade desires. But even though many are listed on their website like they are current, most are discontinued.
Exactly! Also, of the Thermaltake cases which have three 5.25 bays, most if not all of them have a flap that you have to move just to be able to utilize the ODDs. Some might be alright with that, but for one thing, it limits whether you can have your PC to either your right or left. Not to mention, if you're say, copying a CD and your CD copying program (i.e. Sound Juicer) is set to eject the disc when finished, either the drive will be damaged or the flap's hinge will be damaged. Then there's the S series where the flap has to be opened from the bottom, which is really only alright if you have your PC on your desk instead of on the floor.

For three 5.25" bays, Corsair Carbide 200R?
No mesh front, but PLENTY of fan mounts.

Do you REALLY need 2 optical drives? If you drop to one or two 5.25" bays, you get many more choices. Use newegg's selection bar on the left.

Last edited:
Try PCPartPicker's search tools. Here, for example, are the results for cases with at least 3 internal 3.5" bays, 3 external 5.25" bays and front-panel USB3, priced under $120...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=3,12&J=3,20&X=0,12000&D=4,2

Unfortunately, they don't let you specify the number of front-panel USB ports, but that should help narrow down your options a bit. It might also be worth simply getting a USB3 hub, and keeping that on your desk, connected to a port on the rear of the system.

Edit: That Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass actually looks pretty nice and modern though it's at the top of your budget range. Actually, it seems to be the only option with a tempered glass side panel that fits those criteria, if seeing your compenents is something you are interested in. It also appears to have two USB2 and two USB3 ports behind a panel at the top, along with headset connectivity...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tb...l-edition-atx-full-tower-case-ph-es614ptg_swt

Most of the recent cases with tempered glass have tended to do away with external drive bays entirely, so you're probably not going to find many cases with lots of them. Cutting the optical drive bays down to two or one might open your options up a bit more though.

Last edited:

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Try PCPartPicker's search tools. Here, for example, are the results for cases with at least 3 internal 3.5" bays, 3 external 5.25" bays and front-panel USB3, priced under $120...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=3,12&J=3,20&X=0,12000&D=4,2

Unfortunately, they don't let you specify the number of front-panel USB ports, but that should help narrow down your options a bit. It might also be worth simply getting a USB3 hub, and keeping that on your desk, connected to a port on the rear of the system.

Edit: That Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass actually looks pretty nice and modern though it's at the top of your budget range. Actually, it seems to be the only option with a tempered glass side panel that fits those criteria, if seeing your compenents is something you are interested in. It also appears to have two USB2 and two USB3 ports behind a panel at the top, along with headset connectivity...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tb...l-edition-atx-full-tower-case-ph-es614ptg_swt

Most of the recent cases with tempered glass have tended to do away with external drive bays entirely, so you're probably not going to find many cases with lots of them. Cutting the optical drive bays down to two or one might open your options up a bit more though.
Thanks, I'll take a look!

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
For three 5.25" bays, Corsair Carbide 200R?
No mesh front, but PLENTY of fan mounts.

Do you REALLY need 2 optical drives? If you drop to one or two 5.25" bays, you get many more choices. Use newegg's selection bar on the left.
I looked at the Carbide 200R, but I'm just not sure how effective those front vents are. Though, you're right about having plenty of fan mounts. While I wouldn't put one on the side since I wouldn't want to have to unplug it every time I opened the case, I could mount a couple on the top. But I tend to pile crap on top of my PC, so that might not work out.

Yeah, I need two optical drives for ripping CDs and DVDs. But yeah, I think I'll have to drop down to two bays. I was just hoping to be able to fit in an SD card reader or something down the road. But yeah, there are a lot more cases with just two 5.25 bays. I also think I'll have to drop down to a single USB 3.0. I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world, since I just picked up a USB 3.0 hub. Bit surprising though, even the in-house Insignia brand at Best Buy costs $30 for a 4-port hub.

I think I might just end up getting a Bitfenix Neos. I think I read that it's been discontinued, but NewEgg is still selling it, so it must still be in stock.

Last edited:

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
On the other hand, the Thermaltake H22 looks like a good option. It's got a mesh front, 3 ODD bays, 3 3.5 HDD bays, and 3 2.5" HDD bays. Plus, the power button and I/O are towards the top, which is pretty important for me since I prefer to keep my PC on the floor.

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Well, kinda. It's great that it has two USB 3.0 ports, but even if I were to compromise on the ODD bays, there's the issue of the door. The problem with having a door on a case is that it limits where you can put your PC. Since I recently purchased I USB 3.0 hub, the "two USB 3.0 port" requirement has become more-or-less optional. I'm seriously considering the Thermaltake Versa H22. It doesn't come with any fans, but I can pick up a few $10-$15 fans.

I have 2 of those but have never tried taking off the door so i can't tell you how to do that.
When the door is open it has a removable dust filter in front of the fans of plastic grid and mesh filter.

Both systems are busy or I would check if it could be done.
Anyway Good Luck and Have A Great Weekend!!!!!!!!!

heavymetal2000

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Coolermaster HAF series?

The 912 might not meet your exact specs but I have one for an old PC and it’s killer for cooling, spacious inside, tons of drive bays, modular interior to an extent most of them have top front I/o for usb/power

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Coolermaster HAF series?

The 912 might not meet your exact specs but I have one for an old PC and it’s killer for cooling, spacious inside, tons of drive bays, modular interior to an extent most of them have top front I/o for usb/power
I've thought about it in the past, but it's just a bit too military for my taste. I think I'll go with the Thermaltake Versa H22 - it checks all the boxes, but it still looks pretty nice.

Reactions: heavymetal2000

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What sucks is I just sold a case that fits all those requirements, but is also now discontinued, the CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced with a custom tempered side window replacement.

Your best bet will be to look on ebay for used cases, many ppl are getting rid of full towers, and thats where you'll find the best deals on any case with 3x+ 5.25" external bays. Mid towers have long since mostly gone to zero ODD bays, only a few still have them and it's mostly just 2.

I was going to mention the Enthoo Pro also, but didn't because of the specified budget.
Well, at least someone in this thread was aware of the budget. And I don't know if it's just me, but the design kinda makes me think it belongs in a funeral home.
Well, you did specifically say that your "absolute maximum" budget was $120. >_>
I also don't want to spend more than $50-80. Though, my absolute maximum is $120 (including shipping).

Now, I think that $600 case might actually be a little outside their budget. : P

Also, it doesn't seem like it would be all that practical at around 65 pounds (30kg) even before the rest of the system is installed. Better hope you don't have to move it.

It also has zero external drive bays, which is the one thing they really wanted. It actually seems a bit silly not having external drive bays in a case that large. I can kind of see getting rid of them on a compact case, but there it just seems like a case of form over function.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
You're right, as usual. But that full tower 750D was only $50.00 plus shipping on ebay.

Now, I think that $600 case might actually be a little outside their budget. : P

Also, it doesn't seem like it would be all that practical at around 65 pounds (30kg) even before the rest of the system is installed. Better hope you don't have to move it.

It also has zero external drive bays, which is the one thing they really wanted. It actually seems a bit silly not having external drive bays in a case that large. I can kind of see getting rid of them on a compact case, but there it just seems like a case of form over function.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I use a case that fits your description.. nothing fancy, really cheap, and nothing spectacular, but holds the parts inside so it works. But if you are picky about materials, build and finish go for a brand name.

So My case is DeepCool Kendomen
http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2015-02/9_1721.shtml

It has 3ODD, 2 front fans with removable mesh easly accseble, 2 top fans with mesh also removable 1back fan with no mesh, fan controller that kinda works with 3speeds. 1usb3 2xusb2 in front, speaker and mic jack. Side window is spaced out and just fits my Dark Rock Pro Cpu cooler also has all the controlles (USB, jacks, power button, reset, fan control) on top. So works best sitting on the floor.

But beware, build quality is not great, very thin sheetmetal. This DeepCool case feels like any 30$ case from china. But it works, comes with 5 fans from default (2front, 2top, 1back all 120mm and with red leds).. so for 50$ i'm not complaining.