Question Case Sites Still Showing Discontinued Models

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
I've been looking for a case for my current build, and I've been having a tough time, partially because I have (perhaps) some unusual requirements. But every time I think I've found a case that meets my requirements, I find out that it's been discontinued.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I think I might end up starting a thread for listing discontinued models to make it easier for folks to find current cases.

You just remove the side cover and the drives are right there and easily slide in and out on caddys. Takes seconds. Might as well be external.
By "external drive bays" we're referring to the ones that hold things like optical drives, memory card readers, additional front-panel USB ports and on. Installing those in an internal bay wouldn't work so well. : P

Reactions: macgeek

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
I use a case that fits your description.. nothing fancy, really cheap, and nothing spectacular, but holds the parts inside so it works. But if you are picky about materials, build and finish go for a brand name.

So My case is DeepCool Kendomen
http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2015-02/9_1721.shtml

It has 3ODD, 2 front fans with removable mesh easily accessible, 2 top fans with mesh also removable 1back fan with no mesh, fan controller that kinda works with 3speeds. 1usb3 2xusb2 in front, speaker and mic jack. Side window is spaced out and just fits my Dark Rock Pro Cpu cooler also has all the controllers (USB, jacks, power button, reset, fan control) on top. So works best sitting on the floor.

But beware, build quality is not great, very thin sheetmetal. This DeepCool case feels like any $30 case from China. But it works, comes with 5 fans from default (2front, 2top, 1back all 120mm and with red leds).. so for 50$ I'm not complaining.
That sounds pretty good. I just checked it out and at first I didn't like the look of it, but I gotta say, it's growing on me.

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Now, I think that $600 case might actually be a little outside their budget. : P

Also, it doesn't seem like it would be all that practical at around 65 pounds (30kg) even before the rest of the system is installed. Better hope you don't have to move it.

It also has zero external drive bays, which is the one thing they really wanted. It actually seems a bit silly not having external drive bays in a case that large. I can kind of see getting rid of them on a compact case, but there it just seems like a case of form over function.
Yeah, $600 is almost half of my PC budget. As it is, I don't understand why some folks spend $200 on their case.

But yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that cases that big are made with out optical drive bays. I'm of the opinion that a mid-size or larger PC case should have at least a couple optical drive bays. Otherwise, there's not much sense in the case being large enough to have optical drive bays. Plus, it's not like you're carrying it around every day. With a laptop, I can kinda seen getting rid of the optical drive, but I just don't see the point in a desktop that lacks optical drives.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, but it's the budget that's at odds with your wants. Almost all mATX/mITX have gone to zero external bays in aftermarket cases. Many ATX cases are following suit. Those left out, only have 1-2 bays, or no TG or other disqualifications to your wants. Which leaves full towers as the most viable solution. And full towers are not cheap, most will start at @ $100-$120 and go up from there. That's simply due to demand, there isn't much, competition for sales is low, so cases are gouging prices since they can.