[SOLVED] Case to Support Minimum 4 x 3.5" Bays

Liquidraine

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hi guys,

Wondered if anyone case recommend a case of around €100 (£95) that has standard support for at least 4 x 3.5" bays?

Either i am being dumb or the number has reduced significantly since my last case purchase.

Currently running a Zalman Z4 Plus and i have 1 x 2.5" SSD and 4 x 3.5" SATA storage drives.

I'm looking at upgrading and i need a mid ATX case that can take all those HDDs?

The website i'd likely be buying from is azerty.nl (i live in The Netherlands).

Solution
yah 3.5" are the larger spinning disk hdd's. while 2.5" are the newer ssd size.

so that case can hold 8x 3.5" drives if you use an adapter for those 3x 5.25" bays.

or you can use an adapter for 2x 2.5" drives per 3.5" and 5.25" slot. which means up to 16 smaller drives in that case!

if that's not enough room, then you need to start deleting stuff. lol

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's what i was gonna say as well.

i have a focus g and with the adapters have room for 4x 3.5" drives and 2x 2.5" as well behind the psu. you wo't get any more than 4 though unless you make your own cage elsewhere. there is room though if you get a cage and mount it and have not crammed the case full of other stuff like massive gpu's and cooling

thrown in m.2 slots and i got room for drives all over :)

Liquidraine

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Ok i think i am being an idiot here.

It is a Zalman Z9 case.

Specs say it has 5 x 3.5 inch. That 3.5 inch is the distance between each rack right? In other words the depth of a HDD can be until the next is installed?

So the old deep drives are the ones needing 3.5 bays whereas the newer slimmer (non-SSD) ones need 2.5 right?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah 3.5" are the larger spinning disk hdd's. while 2.5" are the newer ssd size.

so that case can hold 8x 3.5" drives if you use an adapter for those 3x 5.25" bays.

or you can use an adapter for 2x 2.5" drives per 3.5" and 5.25" slot. which means up to 16 smaller drives in that case!

if that's not enough room, then you need to start deleting stuff. lol

Solution
Ok i think i am being an idiot here.

It is a Zalman Z9 case.

Specs say it has 5 x 3.5 inch. That 3.5 inch is the distance between each rack right? In other words the depth of a HDD can be until the next is installed?

So the old deep drives are the ones needing 3.5 bays whereas the newer slimmer (non-SSD) ones need 2.5 right?

Not quite right about the bay sizes, the sizes are for the size of the disks it will fit not the distance between the bays. Those sizes are the actual drive sizes, they refer to what can fit in those bays not the physical configuration of the bays.