Case without a grounding wire?

sparchitect

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
The PC cases I've bought in the past have always had a little black (ground) wire coming from the front I/O module that I have always attached to one of the PSU mounting screws. However, I just bought a cheap little Corsair case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139041) because newegg had a great deal on it. But this case doesn't have a little ground wire coming from the front I/O bundle of wires. Should I worry about grounding the PC at all? I just planned on having it sitting on a green shamrock crate, about a foot off of the tile floor.

Edited for spelling.

Solution
Your case will be grounded via the patch wire in your power supply which is attached to the power supply's chassis and in turn connected to your PC case via the power supply mounting screws.

You won't always have the cable you're looking for if most of the front is non-metallic or plastic. The USB harness includes a ground return for end-to-end continuity of the USB shielding.

You don't see those separate grounding wires much, anymore. If there is exposed metal on the front or if the buttons have been chrome plated or dipped, you will usually(should) get a separate ground return that is not attached to the harness.
Your case will be grounded via the patch wire in your power supply which is attached to the power supply's chassis and in turn connected to your PC case via the power supply mounting screws.

You won't always have the cable you're looking for if most of the front is non-metallic or plastic. The USB harness includes a ground return for end-to-end continuity of the USB shielding.

You don't see those separate grounding wires much, anymore. If there is exposed metal on the front or if the buttons have been chrome plated or dipped, you will usually(should) get a separate ground return that is not attached to the harness.

Solution