Cases that are quiet or tips on making my system quieter?

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
So maybe its just me but my system is loud compared to some I've (not) heard. Loud enough where i can hear it from the second floor. Before this year ends i am planning on getting a new CPU and case since my 8350 is getting obsolete. I want my system to be quiet but not at the expense of cooling or too much money (removing fans outright, buying a passive $200 CPU cooler/ switching my HD to an SSD). If i had to say how loud my system is remember those old ceiling fans? It would be roughly 2 of those on the highest speed.

I have an Antec 302 case which is an all aluminum case with an plastic front panel and a dust filter. In it I have a Corsair power supply, a Hyper T4 i bought with the stock fan from $20 off ebay, 2 front fans, 1 top fan with rubber screws, and a side panel fan along with an HDD, and a 1060 that spins when idle. So my question is, do i buy higher quality fans (i have 3 Corsair AF 120 "quiet edition" fans and a Cougar 140mm fan on top, buy a better CPU cooler that has a better stock fan, or invest in a case with sound proofing/ a case that is not all aluminum?

This guy i knew down the hall in my old dorm had a 980ti hyprid (possible noise reduction?) some kind of Corsair Obsidian case with a glass or plastic side panel with stock fans, an air cooled CPU cooler and i could not even hear the system when i put my ear up to it. He took the front panel out and showed me the fans spinning. I heard nothing and silently reminded myself to find a way to get a quiet system. I currently cant see how many RPM each of my fans is spinning at but when i do i will update the post. Fan speed below. Any advice?

http://]

Solution
It sounds to me like you either have a more aggressive fan curve or your system just runs warmer. Is the computer loud just sitting in windows without any programs running? Are all of your fans plugged straight into the motherboard? You could try replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and reseating the cooler? If it brings your temps down, it'll bring your fan speeds down. You could buy a cheep AIO water cooler. I know the EVO 212 coolers are good, I just don't know how quiet they are.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
It sounds to me like you either have a more aggressive fan curve or your system just runs warmer. Is the computer loud just sitting in windows without any programs running? Are all of your fans plugged straight into the motherboard? You could try replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and reseating the cooler? If it brings your temps down, it'll bring your fan speeds down. You could buy a cheep AIO water cooler. I know the EVO 212 coolers are good, I just don't know how quiet they are.

Solution

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015

Yes the computer is loud just sitting in windows. I don't believe my case fans are adjustable so they just run stock. The only aggressive fan curve I have is on my GPU so it never gets hot and my CPU never goes above 65 C. Yes all of fans are plugged Into the motherboard and I already reseated the cooler last week. It might just loud fans but again I would have to check tommorow to see how much RPM they are running at. And even then I don't know what RPM a fan is considered loud at.

I've got a Corsair 100R (medium sized mid-tower), and I can barely hear it all with a 7700K/GTX1060 and Noctua NHD15...; thankfully it has an LED or two on the front to tell me when it is on...the 1060 did double the 'noise', but 2x 'very nearly nothing' is still very, very quiet....; more than quiet enough to hear the HGST 4 TB drive writing/searching when accessed, as it is loaded in an Icy Dock front loading bay...

stavros58

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
How about a Fractal Design R6 with tempered glass I love mine its brilliant very quiet and more cooling options than soft mick, and it comes with 3 140mm fans ass standard that are really quiet, plus a Fan control hub as standard for 7 fans.