"Casing gives current" thread

papa

Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
ignore? OK ?

Papa wrote:

> Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
> with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
> grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
> only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
> leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
> ignore? OK ?

I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
equipment.

I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

jad

take out a second and improve your wiring,

"ric" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message
> Papa wrote:
>
> > Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers
involved
> > with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as
removing the
> > grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long
thread is
> > only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are
pulling your
> > leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief
and just
> > ignore? OK ?
>
> I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
> electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
> plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
> equipment.
>
> I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure
due
> to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six
outlet
> strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to
> wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.
>
> Much ado about nothing, IMO.

> Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
> with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
> grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
> only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
> leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
> ignore? OK ?

I'm not trying to egg anybody on. I do remove the third prong from
plugs, because I find them to be a damned nuisance. There are too
many wall sockets that don't accept three prongs. I've also often
filed down the wide prong on polarized plugs so that I can plug
into "normal" sockets. Under certain conditions, I grant you this
might lead to problems. I have never encountered a problem with
it. But I take care not to use electrical equipment under damp
conditions, or when it is obviously in need of repair.

jad

NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
outlets, that is not normal.

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
> > Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers
involved
> > with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as
removing the
> > grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long
thread is
> > only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are
pulling your
> > leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief
and just
> > ignore? OK ?
>
> I'm not trying to egg anybody on. I do remove the third prong from
> plugs, because I find them to be a damned nuisance. There are too
> many wall sockets that don't accept three prongs. I've also often
> filed down the wide prong on polarized plugs so that I can plug
> into "normal" sockets. Under certain conditions, I grant you this
> might lead to problems. I have never encountered a problem with
> it. But I take care not to use electrical equipment under damp
> conditions, or when it is obviously in need of repair.

"ric" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message news:41606216.905C6C60@home.com...
> Papa wrote:
>
> > Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
> > with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
> > grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long
thread is
> > only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling
your
> > leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and
just
> > ignore? OK ?
>
> I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
> electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
> plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
> equipment.
>
> I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
> to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
> strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
> wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.
>
> Much ado about nothing, IMO.

You're an accident waiting to happen.

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> > I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
> > electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
> > plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
> > equipment.
> >
> > I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
> > to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
> > strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
> > wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.
> >
> > Much ado about nothing, IMO.
>
> You're an accident waiting to happen.

Been waiting for 30+ years. What sort of accident should I be expecting?

[top posting corrected]

JAD wrote:

> > I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
> > electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
> > plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
> > equipment.
> >
> > I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure
> > due
> > to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six
> > outlet
> > strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to
> > wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.
> >
> > Much ado about nothing, IMO.

> take out a second and improve your wiring,

Why?

jad

top post corrected

because it will bring you to code and allow you to sell your house for
more -send your kid to college- take a trip and get out of the death
trap......or do you REALLY own it?

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message news:<yIW7d.1678$UP1.1406@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
> with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
> grounding prong from a 3-prong plug.

Yet two people responded to your message by saying it's no problem,
Al "The No-Condom Guy" Smith and Ric ".15% Alcohol With No Seatbelts":

ric (nospam@home.com) wrote:

> I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or
> polarized electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non
> polarized "cheater" plug adapters which I have to use on much
> of my newer electronic equipment.
>
> I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical
> failure due to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is
> connected to a six outlet strip (which *does* have 3-prong
> connections), which is connected to a wall outlet via one
> of the "cheater" adapters.
>
> Much ado about nothing, IMO.

> NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
> outlets, that is not normal.

Right. I'm just waiting for the day when the insurance companies
force me to upgrade my house wiring. It will cost me five thousand
dollars, and the benefit I will reap from it will be ... oh,
that's right, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squat. I always love it
when bureaucrats take it upon themselves to cost me money I can
ill-afford to spend, for no good reason. It happens regularly.

jad

heh,, come on man........pick your battles

Al Smith wrote:

>> NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
>> outlets, that is not normal.
>

> Right. I'm just waiting for the day when the insurance companies force
> me to upgrade my house wiring. It will cost me five thousand dollars,
> and the benefit I will reap from it will be ... oh, that's right,
> nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squat. I always love it when bureaucrats take
> it upon themselves to cost me money I can ill-afford to spend, for no
> good reason. It happens regularly.

Definitely the '3 prong outlet conspiracy'.

"ric" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message news:4160D18F.FE76E2EC@home.com...
> Ron Reaugh wrote:
>
> > > I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
> > > electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
> > > plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
> > > equipment.
> > >
> > > I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
> > > to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six
outlet
> > > strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
> > > wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.
> > >
> > > Much ado about nothing, IMO.
> >
> > You're an accident waiting to happen.
>
> Been waiting for 30+ years. What sort of accident should I be expecting?

Your grandchild.....

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> > Been waiting for 30+ years. What sort of accident should I be expecting?
>
> Your grandchild.....

???

[top posting corrected]

JAD wrote:

> > > take out a second and improve your wiring,
> >
> > Why?

> because it will bring you to code and allow you to sell your house for
> more -send your kid to college- take a trip and get out of the death
> trap......or do you REALLY own it?

Yes, I really own it. It is 1 block from the Pacific Ocean, has a value
of over $500K in the lot alone (and very little more in the structure.)
It is "pre-proposition 13," which in California means it is property tax
protected. It has an *assesed* valuation of $17K, making property taxes
extremely low. And it is paid for. I have NO plans on selling.

jad

uh huh really I live near Malibu what's your address? So you will
be the 'O'Leary's Cow' in the next wild fire episodes. Slum lord.

"larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>
>> Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
>> with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
>> grounding prong from a 3-prong plug.
>
> Yet two people responded to your message by saying it's no problem,

And exactly what does that prove?? Please, no more ignorance, people!!

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message news:<esf8d.2489$UP1.1893@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> "larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
> with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
> grounding prong from a 3-prong plug.

> > Yet two people responded to your message by saying it's no problem,
>
> And exactly what does that prove?? Please, no more ignorance, people!!

I'm sorry I seemed to be agreeing with them because I mean that common
sense may not be that common. For example, my own house originally
had a couple of wall outlets wired up to zip cord held in place with
regular staples.

JAD wrote:

> uh huh really I live near Malibu what's your address? So you will
> be the 'O'Leary's Cow' in the next wild fire episodes. Slum lord.

??? Utter gibberish.

jad

No utter would be on the cow........

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>
>> "larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>
>> Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
>> with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
>> grounding prong from a 3-prong plug.
>
>> > Yet two people responded to your message by saying it's no problem,
>>
>> And exactly what does that prove?? Please, no more ignorance, people!!
>
> I'm sorry I seemed to be agreeing with them because I mean that common
> sense may not be that common. For example, my own house originally
> had a couple of wall outlets wired up to zip cord held in place with
> regular staples.

I understand, and unfortunately you are correct - common sense is not so
common these days.

JAD top posted:

> No utter would be on the cow........

That would be "udder."