Cast Your Vote on the Best System Config Summer 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mw__happycamper[/nom]I can't understand why we need separate categories for Intel and AMD rigs. Just list the single best system.[/citation]

Because of fan bois

G

oh noes! I'm losing! ;(
Oh well :p.
I forgot about this... should've changed the graphics card. IMO my build would've been great if it hadn't been the graphics card. :p.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
is it just me or is the high end builds kinda pointless. If you put a price limit on it, it's not high end. Also just get the most expensive parts and voila high end system!

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I just looked at the Home Theater PC's what a joke! if you're doing home theater you better get huge HDD IMO to store as many Movies as you can directly on the HDD and for DVR purposes. 3 terabytes at least, but aim for 5TB. and where's llano?

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]Because of fan bois[/citation]
Doesn't have to be fanboys. I love Intel and AMD but go AMD since it doesn't make a difference which brand I go as a consumer.* Going both route is pretty much the same for me BUT it makes a huge difference to the market if a lot more people chose the underdog.

*Actually often cheaper with AMD since you often don't have to rebuy a new motherboard and/or new ram

[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]I just looked at the Home Theater PC's what a joke! if you're doing home theater you better get huge HDD IMO to store as many Movies as you can directly on the HDD and for DVR purposes. 3 terabytes at least, but aim for 5TB. and where's llano?[/citation]

Umm no. If your doing a HTPC then you should have a file server / NAS solution as a central file storage. The HTPC will just access and stream the files over your local network, 100Mbps is enough but 1Gbps will allow for more headroom for other tasks while watching a movie.

I'm personally using a WDTV live which streams off my home server and I can stream HD movies to my home theater system. Now if your using your HTPC as a DVR then you should have some form of large local storage for holding the recordings until you can transfer them to the central storage.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Umm no. If your doing a HTPC then you should have a file server / NAS solution as a central file storage. The HTPC will just access and stream the files over your local network, 100Mbps is enough but 1Gbps will allow for more headroom for other tasks while watching a movie.I'm personally using a WDTV live which streams off my home server and I can stream HD movies to my home theater system. Now if your using your HTPC as a DVR then you should have some form of large local storage for holding the recordings until you can transfer them to the central storage.[/citation]

Exactly what I was thinking. My HTPCs have minimal HDDs and do very little storing. They all stream from the home server.

I'd much rather have a central location over islands of storage

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]I just looked at the Home Theater PC's what a joke! if you're doing home theater you better get huge HDD IMO to store as many Movies as you can directly on the HDD and for DVR purposes. 3 terabytes at least, but aim for 5TB. and where's llano?[/citation]

I thought most of them were a joke but for a different reason. Integrated graphics, really???? I mean seriously????? Not gonna fly on a HTPC. You dont need a monster graphics card but you do need something serviceable for good image quality on playback and some decent 720p maybe 1080p gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS