Question Cat 6 and HDMI in the same cable conduit

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Hi,

I was wondering if it was okey to have unshielded Cat 6 installed in the same cable conduit, inside the house with HDMI cable. Or could the HDMI cable cause issues with internet connection?

Should I purchase shielded cat 6, or is the unshielded cat 6 okey ?

The shielded Cat 6 is double the price as the unshielded version.

Shielded cable is far more than double the price when you install it correctly.

It requires both ends of wire to have the shield connected to a ground. This can not be the electrical ground from say a outlet, that can introduce interference from power. You need a dedicated ground system with a copper wire running to each ethernet outlet as well as the actual ground rod.

This tends to only be done say in a data center....or more likely in industrial install where there is a actual need for shielded cable.

In any event you will have no issues the twists in the ethernet cable wire are designed to prevent interference.

Reactions: BunnyKraken

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
How will it be installed, inside the wall or along baseboard?
I will install it along the baseboard, and through one wall in a plastic cable conduit. The HDMI cable will be in use all the time since its connected to the TV.
Wouldn't want any internet issues since I play competitively, but don't know if its worth the double price of the shielded Cat 6, the length of the cable is 20m/65feet.

Just make sure you buy quality cable non of that flat or thin garbage.

You need pure copper wire (no CCA) and the wire size must be 22-24. If you can not find that infomation in the vendor sale stuff the cable likely is fake and you should look elsewhere. Reputable vendors know about all the fake cable being sold and clearly post these numbers.

Shield cable has no valid use in most home installs. If you were running it through your garage where you used a welder maybe then it might have a use.

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Shielded Cat6 is more for installing alongside the house internal power wiring, being used near power lines or a commercial business setting environment.

Okey, so it will be fine with the HDMI cable ?

What cables shouldn't be in the same cable conduit. I could also run tv cable wire and power cord extension wires inside the same cable conduit, but can these cause issues ?

Okey, so it will be fine with the HDMI cable ?

What cables shouldn't be in the same cable conduit. I could also run tv cable wire and power cord extension wires inside the same cable conduit, but can these cause issues ?
Honestly without using an RFI/EMI meter and not being on site it is hard to give you exact advice. The more cabling that is powered the more you run risk of having interference. Especially with introducing power wiring alongside the other cables.

The tv cable is actually least likely to interfere it in a way is a shield cable. Power from normal stuff should not matter, something like a refrigerator or a ac unit might induce current. When I used to build racks in data centers we had massive amounts of cables packed tightly together. Each server generally had 3 ethernet connections and 2 or 3 power supplies and it was not uncommon to put 10-20 of those in a rack. Never had a issue and we did not use any special cables.

Note running any form of power cable in the same conduit as low voltage cables (ie all the other ones you mention) is a violation of most building codes. Mostly it is a safety thing if the power cable were to fail it could get into the data cables and shock someone since none of those cables have any type of protection.