Question CAT 6 Unshielded possible EMI ? Smart Switch for Hot Attic?

May 14, 2019
Hi their I'm currently attempting to run networking wires inside my house. Or more like the cabling is in place already, but I wanted to know will the 120 V wire cause Electromagnetic Interference( EMI ) ? Does wrapping the section of the CAT 6 the runs close to the 120V in Aluminum foil help just a bit, or is it just a waste.
Note: It is just a couple 120V wire that run perpendicular to the CAT 6 cable. Cable Box Spec: CAT 6 UTP Unshielded CMR Riser 550Mz 1000ft

As for the Switch I ran the wire to the middle of the house in the attic, I wanted to connect the rest of the rooms to one switch with one wire going from the Router/Modem to the smart switch disturbing the internet across the rooms. What switch will be possible to put in a attic that reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit? Are their smart switches for that kind of temperature? Or what ideas do yall have in mind?
Note: I've been told to wire all of that in a cabinet inside a closet that reaches A/C ventilation , but dont really want a cabinet inside the house, aiming for a switch for the attic for now.

😐

It is just a couple 120V wire that run perpendicular to the CAT 6 cable.
Nothing to worry about, as long as the cables cross one another at essentially right angles. Parallel runs, on the other hand, can be problematic in certain situations.

What switch will be possible to put in a attic that reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit?
There are none.

DO NOT INSTALL networking equipment in such environments.

...dont really want a cabinet inside the house...
Then you don't want a functioning network inside the house.

Do it right, or don't waste your money and time doing it at all.

Reactions: iMatty

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
How can you passively cool a router/modem in such heat? i would say an attic wouldn't have any windows no place to let air in or out, basically closed circle.
I would agree with allan on this one to be honest.
There is much better places to place a router/modem at if you ask me you can be really creative with it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
How can you passively cool a router/modem in such heat? i would say an attic wouldn't have any windows no place to let air in or out, basically closed circle.
Have you ever seen a consumer switch with a fan in it, or seen one that requires a fan pointed at it while it's running? They're all passively cooled. If the manufacturer says they can run at that temp, I'm going to trust that until I have evidence otherwise. And an attic isn't air tight or anything, it's not like a device putting off a few watts is going to result in the air temp rising.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well am just saying, there's better places to put a router or a switch in if you ask me.
Putting it in such place will make it much more harder to maintain from time to time.
But, for what the OP is asking he is just looking for problems, probably not right now maybe in the near future.

I've been told to wire all of that in a cabinet inside a closet that reaches A/C ventilation...
After having been told how to do it right, for the specifics of the installation (I presume), the OP is essentially asking for permission to knowingly do it wrong.

I won't give bad advice just because somebody refuses to take good advice about best practices, or is not willing to make the minimal effort to do it correctly.

This promises to be a bad Summer, for heat, where I am; and my attic ventilators cannot keep my attic temps below 70°C, according to my temp monitoring up there. I seriously doubt that this is a unique state of affairs.

I'm still shocked that somebody would actually consider such an arrangement, quite frankly.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
After having been told how to do it right, for the specifics of the installation (I presume), the OP is essentially asking for permission to knowingly do it wrong.

I won't give bad advice just because somebody refuses to take good advice about best practices, or is not willing to make the minimal effort to do it correctly.

This promises to be a bad Summer, for heat, where I am; and my attic ventilators cannot keep my attic temps below 70°C, according to my temp monitoring up there. I seriously doubt that this is a unique state of affairs.

I'm still shocked that somebody would actually consider such an arrangement, quite frankly.

Glad its not just me that my room is around 60C during the day, am glad my pc doesn't overheat!
Stay safe an buy a fan to cool your self and your pc! none the less, i won't argue with this, we gave enough recommendations for the OP to decide to do it either write or wrong.