Cat 7.9 and 2900XT 1GB crossfire -- huge improvement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SpeedyVV

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
Actually, all kidding aside cristip60, I always wondered if that score was as good as it looks.

It is our 1st build, and on top of that, my 11 year old daughter and 9 old son did the build.

Were we just lucky? For a n00bs 1st build\OC experience anyways.

Oh yeah and if you think I am lying about the kids doing the build, take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2XVeEDqGUc

mrmez

Splendid
Just to add to the whole "25 fps thingy"
The not being able to see more than 25fps comes from the movie industry.
There is a process called 'motion blur' which makes images look better.

This doesnt exist in gaming hence the numbers need to be higher.
More importantly however, the idea is to have a system that runs at about 30fps in the WORST CASE SCENARIO.
This means u are running ~ double this most of the time JUST to keep up when its crunch time.

Thats the way i do it anyways.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
why 16x4x does dont hinder performance compared to 8x8x is because in crossfire most of the data comunicated to the second card is via the crossfire connection, not the pci-e slot.

oh btw, about the 25fps thing, our eyes don't see in frames per second, our eyes percieve images in an "analogue" format, not a "digital" one, aka, we are constantly seeing things that blend into each other, not seeing heaps of different pictures wiht transition pictures inbetween, on a TV, they have transition pictures which give the perecpetion of smooth vision, but in real life, the human eye can perfcieve up to about 70 different changes in light per second, so you can percieve about 70fps. btw, everyoen is unique, so this figure may vary.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recall reading something about 70 fps as being the human limit and hence why IMAX used that speed for some of their filming.

Ran some quick tests with BioShock DX10 -- 1920 x 1080 with all details set to High (there doesn't appear to be any AA or AF setting in game) ATI Control Panel settings of AA 8X AF 16X or Application Controlled seem to have no affect on the image quality nor frame rates. Running the game with Fraps 2.9.2 and it never drops lower than 30 and maxes at 60 fps. Didn't notice any graphical problems, in fact it really looks nice (better than Lost Planet IMHO) -- water, smoke, shadows, reflections are very impressive -- this brings back some hope in DX10 titles.

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007

Forcing AA/AF using CCC does not enable the effects at all in Bioshock. In Fact, from what i've read, AA/AF can not be forced/enabled at all in Bioshocks DX10 mode. NVidia users are apparently able to force AA using DX9 and XP (note, not Vista) using their native control panel. This, apparently, is a limitation of the Unreal Engine 3 in Vista and with DX10. After reading all the cries on 2Kgames forums about not having in game AA/AF control, it may be taken into consideration by the design team for the first patch (..... when they get around to releasing it :p).

P.S..... Your FPS may max at 60 because Bioshock tends to enable Vsync automatically every time the game is started. Disable it in the settings tab (and also in CCC if you have it set) and you should, given you have the horsepower, exceed the 60 FPS cap.

Cheers

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone know the reason why 2K prevents AA/AF in DX10? Seems like a pretty unusual move unless the developers "discovered" something during DX10 coding so they basically turned it OFF for now.

60 fps is fine with me, honestly I don't need to go any higher -- maybe you folks can tell the difference beyond 60 fps, but I can't.

Still working on getting Lost Planet working well, just when I thought I had a good combo, averaged 34 fps max to 60 fps -- it triggered a reboot! And I thought my PC Power & Cooling 1000 Watt PSU would be enough for two 2900XT 1GB, looks like I need to rethink -- maybe go with Koolance 1200 Watt water cooled PSU.

cristip60

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Sorry for that but i have in one of my computers a 7600gs oc'ed to 7600gt level and i didn't score more then 2400 in 3dmark so i didn't think it was possible for a 7600gt sli to get more then 5000.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
He also has a Core 2 Duo at 3GHz.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Don't worry V8Venom, even with the 7.9 drivers (which freaking rock) you are still going to find a blue screen every now and then. so getting about 38fps is perfectly normal they will eventually get everything working just right. I remember with my old 9600xt even 2 years afterward the drivers were still improving the card.

SpeedyVV

Distinguished
May 12, 2007

[strike]Hey cristip60, I want a public apology for calling me a liar. Come on be a man (or woman) and admit your mistake!!!! :kaola:[/strike]

Oops I just missed your apology above. Oh well, you are a man!! :hello:

SpeedyVV

Distinguished
May 12, 2007

For future reference, before any OC (CPU or GPU) I got 3607 with 1 GPU and 6191 in SLI. Mind you, the XFX 7600GT XXX is factory OCed.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I didn't get to doing much testing over the weekend (out racing at Infineon).

On the negative side: Lost Planet is still a lost causes unfortunately -- is anyone actually playing this game?? I went to the capcom website seeking information and the place is virtually dead? Thread count is very low. The Lost Planet keyboard issue returned (continuous rapid scrolling at the Graphics settings - which made it impossible to do further testing) and I just didn't feel like unplugging all my USB devices to make it work right (I hate bad ports).

On the plus side: BioShock is still working well (getting over my motion sickness).

Another plus: in crossfire mode I was able to overclock GPUs to 830 Mhz and the 2GB of DDR4 to 1160 Mhz all with stock air cooling -- fans do kick in and temps go up to 73 degrees C (ouch!). Got me into the 14007 with 3DMark06 (4% increase) and added about 3 fps average to FSX SP1 (12% increase).

Tried to get the 2nd Beta of Crysis, but must have missed to 30 second window of opportunity.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Loaded up World in Conflict -- even with just 4X AA and 4AF at 1920 x 1080 with Max High I averaged 8 fps -- tried playing around with control panel settings but best ones that work were "Application Controlled".

It's almost as if this games doesn't work with crossfire at all. But seeing as it is another "nVidia title" I'm not surprised -- but WTF is going on with ATI -- do they not "coordinate" with over game developers also??

Maybe ATI does have AA/AF problems with DX10 titles. AA/AF works great with older DX9 stuff.

The only positive news is that using "uncompressed textures" has no affect of fps.

But I must admit, I'm beginning to wonder if ATI has contact any of the current DX10 dev teams.

Rob

randomizer

Champion
WIC has a few settings that affect performance most. Water reflection size is one. Water quality is another. Seeing a pattern here? The game has nice looking water with huge reflection sizes, but runs bad. Also running Pixel shaders on Low make a huge performance increase too, but you lose all of the Post processing effects as well as a general loss in quality, particularly when the nuke goes off.

nazaretian

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Ok, this really has nothing to do with a 2900XT, but here it goes...

Okay, on my Dell E1505 laptop I have a ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 and I would love to install Catalyst 7.9, but Dell doesn't have it on the download page for my laptop. I tried to install just the regular desktop graphics and I still have the old version installed... so I'm not really sure what is going on. If anybody has any advice or a place where I can download the Notebook version.

leckig

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I just got 2900 PRO. What a piece of junk. I am sending it back. My 600W PSU not powerful enough even though it is fine for my 8800.

2900 PRO gives me blank screen and beeps. I would send it back even if it worked - it is so extremally loud. I mean extremally loud, it is like having a vacum cleaner in the PC. How can you guys tolerate it?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
64 bit Vista? Crossfire? Man, this guy is a glutton for punishment... there's a reason they call it bleeding edge technology. Even if I had that kind of money to throw around on a rig (actually, I do now that I think about it) I'd want a more mature platform... that machine is depreciating like mad and I'd want to play it 24/7 to maximize my value... not spend my time troubleshootinging anomolies.

randomizer

Champion

What a load of BS. Your PSU is crap or the card is simply DOA. I can run a 2900XT (which uses more power) on my 520 watt PSU if I had the money to pay for it, so your system is just more screwed than mine. Assuming you are talking about the 8800GTX/ultra (you act like you have the cash for them) the 2900 pro uses less power than those. And of course it's loud, all ATI cards are loud, what did you expect? Do some research and stop complaining.

TRENDING THREADS