Cat bit ethernet cord. Possible modem / Ethernet port damage?

meanbunny

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hey everyone,

Recently while I was sleeping, my cat bit the Ethernet cord putting a small hole in it, which goes from my cable modem to my PC and the next day I noticed that all my games started to act weird. Things such as menus not loading, tiny lag spikes I never had before, graphics and other things loading very slowly. So I switched out the Ethernet cable with a new one... Same issues.

I tested my connection on pingtest.net and I noticed I was having packet loss on every other test. Sometimes I would test 2 tests in a row and get 0%, but then I would start getting 1-2% packet loss on subsequent tests. I also ran the "ping google.com -t" test on my CMD prompt and I noticed that my ping would stay around 33ms and then randomly jump up +20-70ms randomly for a moment, then go back down to normal, and then every so often the connection would timeout causing packet loss.

I called Cox tech support and they said that they saw some packet loss on their side as well so they are sending out a technician with a new modem tomorrow.

My question is, since Cox is seeing the packet loss on their side does that mean they are seeing packet loss coming from my computer or are they seeing packet loss from their personal connection to the modem through the coaxial cable?

The reason I am asking this is because I want to know if there is any chance that my cat biting the Ethernet cord, putting a hole in it could have damaged the Ethernet port on my PC, or even worse could it have passed the Ethernet port and damaged the motherboard as well? That is my main concern. I want to know if my cat biting the Ethernet cord and putting a small hole in it could have caused damage to my motherboard.

Please let me know guys. I really appreciate any comments and help on this issue. Have a great day.

kanewolf

Titan
I would say possible, but unlikely. Each of the 8 wires in the cable has covering in addition to the outer covering. The cat may have pierced the outer covering and may have even nicked some of the inner insulation. But it is unlikely that any damage was done. I would get a new cable anyway.

meanbunny

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Possible that damage was done to the motherboard / Ethernet port? Or damage to the Ethernet Cable?

TRENDING THREADS