Cat3.8 Monitor Problems

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
i installed 3.8 on saturday night just before a lan and everything worked fine for the first retstart. The next day my comp wouldnt give signal to the monitor. i borrowed a ti4200 so i could boot up and install Cat3.7. all worked for a few days before i decided to put 3.8 back on. Like the last time it restarted perfectly. i turned it off and the next time it wouldnt turn back on. for some strange reason it worked the next day but gave the error message on my m/b "overclocking failed".

Anyway i would like a responce from ATI to fix the problem. its definatly the driver because it works perfectly with a gforce ti4200 and gforce2 gts and other monitors.

is anyone else having major problems with the driver???

fragglefart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Yes lots of people are, you are very lucky your monitor has not been fried. STOP installing it before you do any damage and stick with the 3.7 for the time being.

Render times? You'll find me down the pub...

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Yep...supposedly Cat3.8's do something weird to your monitors refreshrate that does some damage. ATi denies the problem, but dont believe those sonowabitches....

<b>I help because you suck</b>

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
if ATI went around saying sorry about the mistakes they made people would never buy there cards... they will just stay quiet and say its your computers componants.

The same can be said of every other mfr.

And I like so many others haven't had any sign of these Catastrophic Biblical problems. The only issues I've had were with the OMEGA version of the leaked Cat 3.8.5, and as betas as such I should've expected issues. This is the FIRST time I've seen 'leaked' drivers from Omega, perhaps it will also be the last time I see that as well (2 revisions so far).
However if you go to Rage3D I'm sure you'll find a bunch of people who've had issues, there are always some with each driver release, and that's true for all graphics card companies.

I wish B3D or DigitLife would do a bit on them since they are VERY thorough reviewers. The DH review was nice, but far from 'detailed' to the same level those guys do it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
There is nothing wrong with the CAt 3.8's. The whole thing was made up and can be backtraced to a single forum. In fact the whole heat thing as a whole is only affecting soft modded cards.

Read <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=374098#374098" target="_new">this thread</A> and pay attention to the 1st post that TheGreatGrapeApe has. It points you to all of the proof that the 3.8's are A ok. Now it's time to figure you what really went wrong...

----------
<b>I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
There are some monitors that are succeptable to the refreshrate overload that the 3.8's are giving off, and there are some monitors that arent.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
This is from NV News.....
It seems like the new driver series is attempting to pass way too many unsupported resolution/refresh rates to the monitor, overloading the monitor's relay system and frying the monitor. Instead of reading the refresh rates from the PRIMARY display INF files, it is reading the SECONDARY display INF refresh rates. For those of us with only 1 monitor hooked up, there is no SECONDARY display INF refresh rate file, to the video card starts at its own highest supported refresh rate and starts passing that onto the monitor. With Radeon 9800/9700's capable of syncing @ a refresh rate of 200 Hz, that means 99% of the world's monitors are at risk of damage.

So far, a total of 183 monitors, ranging from high-end 22" Viewsonic P225F's to lowly 14" Compaq SVGA monitors have been reported as dead/damaged due to this problem. It is to be taken seriously.

I'll attest to this problem, as my Dell UltraScan P1110 21" Trinitron has been damaged due to this problem. Running the Catalyst 3.8's on my Corona system @ 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz and playing Unreal Tournament 2003, I exited the game and the monitor started flickering like mad, attempting to change refresh rates. After 8 unsuccessful retries, the monitor displayed the "NO VIDEO SIGNAL FROM INPUT 1" message and the power light turned orange. A burning smell was coming from the back of the monitor. Hooking the monitor up to another system proved useless, as it did not start up.

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Can someone please post a link to a place where you can download Cat 3.7? I'm having trouble finding it.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

nVNEWS, they're in on it, I smell conspiracy! :wink:

The thing is that as ATI explained the drivers don't use that INF 'info'. It's mentioned at Guru3D (also many other places) here's the excerpt (sorry for length but I do want to keep the quote intact as to not look like I'm selectively editing [btw, made it clickable]);

<A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/news.php#650" target="_new">In XP and 2K, we don’t have access to monitor INF information in our driver component that manages display capability. We have never used this monitor information for any purpose. We rely on EDID data or user override information to determine monitor capability. Even though the OS may use the monitor information to expose high refresh rate based on monitor INF content, the driver always restricts the actual refresh rate going to the monitor based on EDID or the user override. In essence, the user may be able to select from OS controlled monitor page (in advanced property pages) a high refresh rate but internally driver will restrict the refresh rate going to the monitor based on EDID information or user override information. If user set the override information incorrectly then incompatible signals would be sent to the monitor. In 9x, we can access monitor INF information but due to issues with how OS maps the INF to a monitor, we had disabled reading the monitor INF via registry. Unless someone deliberately changes the registry setting for this in 9x, they would not run into any monitor INF related issues.</A>

Yeah, it's distrubing that there may be issues, but also disturbing that this doesn't have much evidence. I think most people are now just more confused or scared than actually KNOW what to do. The Omega's (which are leaked drivers) seem to have the most issues IMO.

I really am waiting for a seriously good review by our usual decontructors. Perhaps this is the PERFECT chance for LARS to write a power consumption/heat production piece on graphics cards, just like we've been asking for. :cool:

Oh yeah,
Also there's <A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33492.html" target="_new">THIS from the Register</A>, which is a bit of the rebutal plus a bit of a mention about it being potentially a Fanboi plot (reference also to FanATIcs doing the same thing in the past).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Go to ATI's site and click on "Previous Driver Version"

BTW the link would be <A HREF="http://www.ati.com" target="_new">http://www.ati.com</A>

Trouble finding them? Just don't ask for install help, ok.

Seriously, a little work on your part and you could've done that yourself.