[SOLVED] Cat5 Cables

Nov 18, 2020
I have terminated Cat5 outlets throughout my house in various room. All the cables end in the basement (ends not finished) how do I determine which unfinished end goes to which wall outlet?

Solution
I would buy a patch panel and terminate all the wires to that. It is a little more expensive that just crimping on rj45 but it tends to easier for a new person to get a keystone connected rather than a rj45 since you can do single wires at a time rather than trying to get 8 perfect.

The simple way to test is to plug a pc into the remote room and then plug the cable 1 by 1 into a switch until you get a light. You could also plug all the jacks into a switch and then go room to room with a helper recording which port lights up. Unless you have a huge number of ports I would just cable them all to a switch that way they are set to go when ever you need it.
I would buy a patch panel and terminate all the wires to that. It is a little more expensive that just crimping on rj45 but it tends to easier for a new person to get a keystone connected rather than a rj45 since you can do single wires at a time rather than trying to get 8 perfect.

The simple way to test is to plug a pc into the remote room and then plug the cable 1 by 1 into a switch until you get a light. You could also plug all the jacks into a switch and then go room to room with a helper recording which port lights up. Unless you have a huge number of ports I would just cable them all to a switch that way they are set to go when ever you need it.

Solution
Nov 18, 2020

Nov 18, 2020
I was told that the wall plug maybe wired for phone and not data. If I put a rj45 on the current unfinished end, how do I make sure the wall plug has the appropriate wiring?

I was told that the wall plug maybe wired for phone and not data. If I put a rj45 on the current unfinished end, how do I make sure the wall plug has the appropriate wiring?
If the wires don't have ends on them yet, I wouldn't put them on them until I see the jacks on the other side and how they are wired. If they didn't follow tia standards, then you may have to figure out how to wire them in a different order for them to work correctly.

TRENDING THREADS