Question Cat5 vs Cat6A issue

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
My internet speedtest with a 100ft. cat5 cable connected to my PC is 300+ down and 11+ up. But with a 50ft. cat6A cable connected to the same PC, it's 180+ down and 10 up. I'm using the Google Wifi 3 mesh set. This is not normal right?
What I want to do is basically stream 4K movies via Netflix and was told 4K streaming is not possible with Cat5 cable and the wifi signal going to the TV was 2.04mbps. With the Cat6A the Netflix signal is 82.33Mbps. My older cable could be Cat5e-not too sure. I also have a Cat6A from my Google router to my Hisense U8G 4K tv. Hopefully that will bring the signal up to par for 4K streaming.

Last edited:
Do you connect your pc directly to the main router via ethernet. This almost sounds like you are connecting your pc to the remote mesh unit via ethernet and then the remote mesh unit connects to the router via wifi.

This is going to be limited by the wifi in the path no matter what kind of cable you are using.

Cat6a will not run faster or better than cat5e when you connect them to a 1gbit port. The port not the cable sets the speed. You would need a 10gbit port to see any difference between the cables.

Now if you are connecting it directly to the main router then I would try to verify that you have quality cable. Lots of fake cables on the market. You need pure copper wire (no CCA) and the wire size must be 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable).

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Do you connect your pc directly to the main router via ethernet. This almost sounds like you are connecting your pc to the remote mesh unit via ethernet and then the remote mesh unit connects to the router via wifi.

This is going to be limited by the wifi in the path no matter what kind of cable you are using.

Cat6a will not run faster or better than cat5e when you connect them to a 1gbit port. The port not the cable sets the speed. You would need a 10gbit port to see any difference between the cables.

Now if you are connecting it directly to the main router then I would try to verify that you have quality cable. Lots of fake cables on the market. You need pure copper wire (no CCA) and the wire size must be 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable).
Yes the 100ft. cat5 is connected to the main hub. Google Wifi is a 3 hub set. The main hub is connected to the modem. I have the pc connected to this hub via cat5 100ft. I got a cat6a 50ft. and connected it to one of the 3 hub. Not the main hub that is connected to the modem like the cat5 is. So yes I see what you are saying. The hub the PC is now connected to is getting/sending signal to the main hub wireless. So I should connect the cat6A directly to the main hub instead?
REVISED: I just re-routed the cat6a to the main mesh hub and now I am getting the right reading with Speedtest. Actually a little higher the what the cat5 was reading. So it is all good now. Thnx for you help. The first part of your response is what did it.

Last edited: