CAT5E 350 mhz what type of wire?

G

What type of wire is better for CAT5E 350 mhz networking? stranded or solid conductor. Which will transmit data faster?

G

If the wire is rated at 350MHz, both stranded and solid will work the same (ie: no signal difference). You'd use stranded for the patch cords most likely as they're quite a bit more flexible and easier to maneuver. Solid is generally used for the long runs, probably because it's a bit cheaper, it's more readily avaialable and it also offers less attenuation to the signal passing through it but this would only be noticed for runs over 100'.

The RJ-45 ends are specific to stranded and solid cable, so make sure you have the proper end to match up with your cable.

I use solid Cat 6 throught my house, and even for the patch cords (I don't move around equipment around alot).

G

What would be the benifit of using CAT6 as opposed to the 350 MHz CAT5e ?

G

Just a bit more leeway as far as CrossTalk and NEXT (near end crosstalk) goes (less prone to interference generated by the cable's pairs). 350MHz cabling can do anything that Cat 6 (550MHz) cabling can, but add a bit more interference or less than optimal situation and that Cat 6 will outperform...

BTW... that 350MHz cable is most likely Cat 5E (or Cat 5e) and therefore tested/certified at 100MHz. Cat 6 is generally tested at 250MHz...(the 350 and 550 are just 'maximums').

The cabling I used was Hitachi High-Net Supra. Very nice stuff to work with...