[SOLVED] CAT5E to BT phone line ?

Apr 20, 2020
Hi all

I am trying to get a second computer in another part of the house to receive a steady Bandwith.

The PC does have a WIFI attached PCI but doesn't seem stable enough.
I have a BT phone line in the room I am looking to thus instead connect to the desktop.

I have a CAT5E 10 meter cable.

I have tried looking for a wall BT phone line converter to a CAt5E so i can connect my cat5e cable from desktop to the converter in the phone line.

however when i search all i get are RJ11 phone convertors. I do not see a wall phone line to a CAT5e. But, will that work? will my desktop get a connection this way or doe sit need to be connected to the router? Router only has two ethernet sockets which are used by my main desktop and PS4. I do not have a spare router Ethernet. Would a second router work? by using a Rj11 to a 2nd router and then connecting 2nd router to 2nd desktop by the cat5e cable?

Ive already tried looking at splitting main router ethernet socket into two but each splitter i have seen says only one desktop can use the socket at a single time. obviously i need an option that allows both desktop to use internet for gaming at same time.

Happy to spend 40 quid to solve the issue but what are my options?

thank you

Solution
Hi thank you for your reply.

When you say LAN port, do you mean the ports where the CAT5e cable go into from desktop and PS4? not the main port that sends the signal from wall socket to router?

I think if i did it that way i would not be able to connect the PS4? because the router only has two ports to connect to device. if i use one for the 1st powerline adaptor then i only have one remaining for my desktop in main room.

Thus i assume to expand on this i would either need 3 powerline adaptors or get a powerline adaptor that has two cat5e ports on it?

what about instead a wifi extender and a usb wifi receiver on the 2nd desktop?

Thank you
Correct. The ports that a PS4 or other computer plugs into. There are typically...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all

I am trying to get a second computer in another part of the house to receive a steady Bandwith.

The PC does have a WIFI attached PCI but doesn't seem stable enough.
I have a BT phone line in the room I am looking to thus instead connect to the desktop.

I have a CAT5E 10 meter cable.

I have tried looking for a wall BT phone line converter to a CAt5E so i can connect my cat5e cable from desktop to the converter in the phone line.

however when i search all i get are RJ11 phone convertors. I do not see a wall phone line to a CAT5e. But, will that work? will my desktop get a connection this way or doe sit need to be connected to the router? Router only has two ethernet sockets which are used by my main desktop and PS4. I do not have a spare router Ethernet. Would a second router work? by using a Rj11 to a 2nd router and then connecting 2nd router to 2nd desktop by the cat5e cable?

Ive already tried looking at splitting main router ethernet socket into two but each splitter i have seen says only one desktop can use the socket at a single time. obviously i need an option that allows both desktop to use internet for gaming at same time.

Happy to spend 40 quid to solve the issue but what are my options?

thank you
What do you want to connect to that wall plate? You can't connect a PC directly. The PC needs an ethernet connection. Your BT wall plate would have phone or DSL. If you wanted to move your modem and router, you might be able to connect it to the wall plate and the PC to them.

Reactions: AlterEg00
Apr 20, 2020
So its a sky 35mb fibre i have but the internet (main) comes from main front room bt line socket. This is a Master socket 5C. This is connected to my router. which runs my main desktop, PS4 and TV.

Shouldn't the phone in the 2nd room in question be physically connected to this main socket?

I have a cat5e cable for desktop in 2nd room. i want to somehow connect the desktop in the second room to the phone socket to access the internet. is this not possible? do i need some sort of adapter in the 2nd room socket?

The wifi card card connected to the 2nd room desktop is a limited one. it says its 100mb but when i run speed test it says 3mbs. compared to a direct connection of 32mbs. so this is why i am looking to use a cable on the 2nd desktop rather than wifi.

Options are get a new wifi card- have to check compatibility.
or modify existing connections for a physical connection

thank you

kanewolf

Titan
So its a sky 35mb fibre i have but the internet (main) comes from main front room bt line socket. This is a Master socket 5C. This is connected to my router. which runs my main desktop, PS4 and TV.

Shouldn't the phone in the 2nd room in question be physically connected to this main socket?

I have a cat5e cable for desktop in 2nd room. i want to somehow connect the desktop in the second room to the phone socket to access the internet. is this not possible? do i need some sort of adapter in the 2nd room socket?

The wifi card card connected to the 2nd room desktop is a limited one. it says its 100mb but when i run speed test it says 3mbs. compared to a direct connection of 32mbs. so this is why i am looking to use a cable on the 2nd desktop rather than wifi.

Options are get a new wifi card- have to check compatibility.
or modify existing connections for a physical connection

thank you
The sequence HAS to be ISP -> modem/router -> device You want to use the port in the room to connect to the internet. But it has to connect to a LAN port on the router. It doesn't sound like there is a way to make that connection.
If you want an ethernet connection without ethernet cabling, there are two options MoCA which used coax cable. If you have coax throughout the house, you could try MoCA. But for a 35Mbit ISP connection, I would recommend looking at powerline network adapters. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PLP1000-100UKS-Gigabit-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B01N3YCC7R/ You plug one in at the router with an ethernet cable connected to the LAN port. You plug the other unit in the second room with an ethernet cable going to your PC. You want them both plugged directly into the wall. No power strips.

Apr 20, 2020

i d not have any awareness of these so apologies for the follow up questions

So, for the item on amazon please let me confirm if i have the correct understanding

Buy two of these.
main room:
Using wall plug socket, plug one adaptor in at front room
Then using the plug socket on this adaptor, Plug the main sky router into it?

Not sure what you want me to do with cables. The router cable goes into the master socket 5c. My ethernet cables come from the router. Qf which there are 2. they are both used for my main room desktop and then the ps4. i have none spare ports on the router.

Or will i need 3 of these? Use one cat5e port on router going to the 1stt adaptor. then other router cat5e port for my desktop. Then 2nd adaptor on wall next to PS4 with a cable running from PS4 to the 2nd adaptor. then use 3rd adaptor in 2nd room for teh 2nd desktop?

When you say LAN port is the the connection between the master socket 5c to the router?

2nd room
plug 2nd device in wall
connect cat5e cable from the device to desktop?

how does plugging the router into the device carry the internet signal to the other one in the 2nd room?

thank you

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

i d not have any awareness of these so apologies for the follow up questions

So, for the item on amazon please let me confirm if i have the correct understanding

Buy two of these.
main room:
Using wall plug socket, plug one in at front room
Then using the plug socket on this device, Plug the main sky router into it?

Not sure what you want me to do with cables. The router cable goes into the master socket 5c. My ethernet cables come from the router. Qf which there are 2. they are both used for my main room desktop and then the ps4. i have none spare ports on the router.

when you say LAN port is the the connection between the master socket 5c to the router?

2nd room
plug 2nd device in wall
connect cat5e cable from the device to desktop?

how does plugging the router into the device carry the internet signal to the other one in the 2nd room?

thank you
Using a powerline network adapater --
From a LAN port on your router, connect a cable to a powerline adapter. Plug that adapter directly into the wall outlet.
In the room that needs network, plug a powerline adapter directly into the wall. Verify the connection between the two units with the LEDs (or other manufacturer specific method). Plug an ethernet cable from the powerline adapter to your PC or an ethernet switch if you need multiple devices connected.
The house wiring is used as a data network between the two units. It functions like you plugged a long ethernet cable between your PC and the LAN port on your router.

Apr 20, 2020
Using a powerline network adapater --
From a LAN port on your router, connect a cable to a powerline adapter. Plug that adapter directly into the wall outlet.
In the room that needs network, plug a powerline adapter directly into the wall. Verify the connection between the two units with the LEDs (or other manufacturer specific method). Plug an ethernet cable from the powerline adapter to your PC or an ethernet switch if you need multiple devices connected.
The house wiring is used as a data network between the two units. It functions like you plugged a long ethernet cable between your PC and the LAN port on your router.

When you say LAN port, do you mean the ports where the CAT5e cable go into from desktop and PS4? not the main port that sends the signal from wall socket to router?

I think if i did it that way i would not be able to connect the PS4? because the router only has two ports to connect to device. if i use one for the 1st powerline adaptor then i only have one remaining for my desktop in main room.

Thus i assume to expand on this i would either need 3 powerline adaptors or get a powerline adaptor that has two cat5e ports on it?

Thank you

kanewolf

Titan

Thank you
Correct. The ports that a PS4 or other computer plugs into. There are typically 4 of them on a router. If your router only has two ports, then you would connect an ethernet switch to one port and connect all your devices to that switch. What exact model is your router?
If you want ethernet in a different room, you could get a third powerline adapter. It would share bandwidth with the other room.

Solution
Apr 20, 2020
Correct. The ports that a PS4 or other computer plugs into. There are typically 4 of them on a router. If your router only has two ports, then you would connect an ethernet switch to one port and connect all your devices to that switch. What exact model is your router?
If you want ethernet in a different room, you could get a third powerline adapter. It would share bandwidth with the other room.
This router seems to be the one. I cant find a model for it on device itself. but the front and back are identical.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF433l5eCQU

Apr 20, 2020
Thank you
From either of the yellow ports you connect a switch, like this -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP5TN4S
That gives you 4 usable ports. You connect the two devices that are currently connected to the yellow ports to the switch and the cable to powerline adapter to the switch. You have 1 additional switch port and the second yellow port on the router.
Thank you
i will buy a port switch and a power adapter. looking at adaptor types, getting one that also has wifi also sounds of benefit. I see a lot advertised for 600/1200/2000mbps. having listened to a few you tube vids. it seems there is no benefit for me to get anything greater than 600mbps? Assuming that that the lesser ones do not throttle or degrade what is essentially possible from faster ones?

Thank you

Apr 20, 2020
For UK you could get something like these -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA8630PKIT-V2-Passthrough-Powerline/dp/B07349P1TX It is a starter kit with two units. The "remote" unit will supply ethernet and WIFI.
Thank you. this one is a bit of a jump in price. i was thinking around £50 for a pair. can you indicate why you settled on this one? any particular benefit? When you say remote, i assume this is the one furthest from the router? which i assume is the smaller of the two on the box?
thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you. this one is a bit of a jump in price. i was thinking around £50 for a pair. can you indicate why you settled on this one? any particular benefit? When you say remote, i assume this is the one furthest from the router? which i assume is the smaller of the two on the box?
thanks
The performance numbers that are used are strictly advertising, don't believe them. But, the newer standards units have better compatibility with different house wiring. Additionally, the dual band WIFI will provide better performance. You should be able to support at least 100Mbit throughput with those units both wired and wireless. That means that your full WAN bandwidth should be available.
There weren't as many options with WIFI when I looked at Amazon UK. That also contributed to my choice.

Apr 20, 2020
The performance numbers that are used are strictly advertising, don't believe them. But, the newer standards units have better compatibility with different house wiring. Additionally, the dual band WIFI will provide better performance. You should be able to support at least 100Mbit throughput with those units both wired and wireless. That means that your full WAN bandwidth should be available.
There weren't as many options with WIFI when I looked at Amazon UK. That also contributed to my choice.
Thank you for your help. the ethernet splitter has already arrived so need to look at the powerline adapters. as i now have the ethernet splitter i do not mid a single port on each adaptor.

The purpose built flat i have is under 15 years old so wiring should be ok.
if you have any further suggestions for around under £50 for a decent powerline with wifi with single ports. please let me know

thank you again

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your help. the ethernet splitter has already arrived so need to look at the powerline adapters. as i now have the ethernet splitter i do not mid a single port on each adaptor.

The purpose built flat i have is under 15 years old so wiring should be ok.
if you have any further suggestions for around under £50 for a decent powerline with wifi with single ports. please let me know

thank you again
Prices change all the time. I can't recommend a specific unit. I will say you want to look for units that have the "AV2" compliance. They are usually marketed as "AV1000" or "AV2000".

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
i want to somehow connect the desktop in the second room to the phone socket to access the internet. is this not possible?
Yes but the wiring for a phone is different so even if you use an adapter it won't work. source: I've tried using an adapter because as we all know wifi is awful and ended up replacing both jack outlets to make them compatible with my hardware. Won't work in your case though as you have 35? Mbps and I have 1, and CAT3 cable supports up to 10Mbps AFAIK.

If you go for powerline stuff make sure the AC wiring is not a mess :crazy: