[SOLVED] Cat5E wall ports issue.

Aug 26, 2019
I recently moved into a new home and they have Cat5E ethernet ports throughout, 2 in the living room(which is where I have set up my modem and router), 1 in the kitchen, 1 upstairs in a nook, and 2 in the master bedroom. I have a separate room set up as my office and have tried putting a cable through the ports (the one in the nook) to my computer via a long Cat5E cable and I have absolutely no connection. I am not sure if the ports even work. I have tried plugging into both ports ect. I tested the 2 cables I am using and they do work. Is there another way I can test the ports? Is there any other steps I should take? Do I need to buy a switch? Or are these ethernet ports wired as phone line ports?
This is what they look like (the 2 by the router)
View: http://imgur.com/a/2VCXLVY

Please let me know if I need to provide more info or images.

Solution
What would the junction normally look like?
Excellent question, unfortunately there is no standard. You are basically looking for a place where a bunch of cables coming out from the wall/ceiling, either unterminated or not. The CAT cable junction most likely go with Coax junction as well, where u should see coax splitters. The cables maybe hidden under a panel or box.

Ralston18

Titan
And consider taking off the wall plate and inspecting the ports and punchdowns.

Look for the types of wires, cable markings, color codes, etc.

There also may be some labeling via tape on the wires and/or markings on the inside part of the wall plate.

Likely it will be helpful if you sketch out the wiring and make notes as you inspect the wall jacks and wires.

What would the junction normally look like?
Excellent question, unfortunately there is no standard. You are basically looking for a place where a bunch of cables coming out from the wall/ceiling, either unterminated or not. The CAT cable junction most likely go with Coax junction as well, where u should see coax splitters. The cables maybe hidden under a panel or box.

Solution
Aug 26, 2019