[SOLVED] Cat6 cable vs modem, where is the fault ?

prash.enjoyall

Commendable
Aug 18, 2017
I have a D-Link WiFi router where my Internet cable is connected. Due to reasons, the WiFi is not strong enough to be received with considerable speed on the other end of my house, I figured I will run a 10 metre long CAT-6 cable on my old router Netgear configured as AP(Access Point) mode to my D-Link router, instead of going for a range extender (which is simple, but then why when you can convert your old modem to suit your needs). I tested the workings of this setup with a 0.75 metre cable and everything worked as it is supposed to be. I got this 10 metre cable just today, but apparently the setup is buggy on this new cable, I asked for replacement and the shop did once, but said they won't replace again as the cable works fine in their network tester.

So, the replaced cable indicates a green light on incoming connectivity on Netgear, where as the one before was showing orange blinks. The problem is that though the replaced cable shows connectivity, there is no internet connecting on the Netgear router.

New router connected to Internet: DIR-816 A1 (D-Link)
Old router config as AP, connected to new router port : WNDR3400V3 (Netgear)

Observations:

1. I seen the wire config inside the transparent crimp of the 10m cables and they don't follow the standard
Supposed to be in order : o O g B b G br BR
10m cable order : o O b B g G br BR
- but that said they are just 8 wires and if both ends have the same ordering then again computer would know a difference and it would be just another straight through cable.

2. the crimp doesn't lock in place properly for 10m cables
though the new cable did establish a green light on Netgear they don't lock in, there are not loose either. I wonder if crimping a new end would solve a problem, asked a local technician to bring crimper tomorrow.

3. Since both netgear and dlink are considered same type of devices, do I need a cross over cable instead of straight through cable?
-my 0.75 meter cable was straight through and it still did the job (Read most modern routers have some inbuilt feature to detect and correct the ports even if it is not cross-over cable)

Solution
It is not just that the wires run to the same pins the pairs must be correct.

The pairs are on ping 1,2 3,6, 4,5 7,8.

If you look at the first cable the colors match that pattern. In the second cable You have pins 3&4 and 5&6 combined but the equipment still requires the pairs to be 3,6 and 4,5

It is the twists between the 2 wires that make up the pairs that allow them to go the distance they do.

You can cut off the ends and redo them but I would be extremely suspect of the cables since every reputable vendor understands how the ends must be put on.

The cables you have maybe telephone or other cables. Make sure they are not flat cables and also make sure the cables i pure copper. It is not even worth the effort...
It is not just that the wires run to the same pins the pairs must be correct.

The pairs are on ping 1,2 3,6, 4,5 7,8.

If you look at the first cable the colors match that pattern. In the second cable You have pins 3&4 and 5&6 combined but the equipment still requires the pairs to be 3,6 and 4,5

It is the twists between the 2 wires that make up the pairs that allow them to go the distance they do.

You can cut off the ends and redo them but I would be extremely suspect of the cables since every reputable vendor understands how the ends must be put on.

The cables you have maybe telephone or other cables. Make sure they are not flat cables and also make sure the cables i pure copper. It is not even worth the effort to put ends on fake ethernet cables espeically when they are longer.

Solution
Return the cable and go get another one somewhere else that is real as the one you have is fake no matter what their 'network testers' say. Your short cable test proves your setup should work fine. A longer cable if real would duplicate this behavior.