[SOLVED] Cat6 Connector wiring issue?

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
So I purchased a spool of Monoprice Cat6 stranded wire. Using about 40-50 feet through the ceiling, one slight bend.

For the life of me I can't seem to get the termination so that it reads all 8 lights. Consistently light 2 doesn't come through. Skips that light. Tried two different testers.

Have now tried 3 different connector types, and both male and female.

Cable issue?

Solution
Stranded cable is much harder to get terminated. You need special ends that have a different type pins. Stranded ends have a pin that goes through the middle of the wire where solid cut the 2 sides.

Most ethernet cables is solid core especially stuff you run in the walls because stranded is only suppose to be used for patch cords. I am not sure if there is a difference in the length allowed by the standard or not between stranded cable and solid.

Now you can put the ends for solid wire on stranded cable it just is much harder to get good contact sometime.

My guess is this is just new user error. It takes lots of practice to make good ones consistently. Even guys who sit and make them all day long get bad ones from...

Ralston18

Titan
By "3 different connector types" do you mean 3 different types of stranded connector types. (I.e., stranded vs solid.)

Are you terminating into plugs or wall jacks?

Cable issue - very possible. Lots of junk/fake cable on the market - everywhere.

Do you have a link to the wire that you purchased?

What specs are printed along the length of the stranded wire insulation?

Are you able to take a couple of photographs and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Network Internet Cord - Stranded, 550Mhz, UTP, CM, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 24AWG, 250ft, blue https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015QJ4276/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_GTXEPMBXYM2SGM389Y7C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cable is above.

It doesn't appear to be a cable issue as I just terminated a small piece and it tests fine.

Connectors I've tried are:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07451LPHR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_AC1WSBEE755Y71WM8WVX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/klein-tools-pass-thru-modular-data-plugs-cat6-10-pack-/1001106674

So either I keep making the exact same mistake on the longer cable, or somewhere along the way the solid orange line somehow got shredded, or 60 feet is too long for this cable?

Ralston18

Titan
60 feet should not be "too long".

May well be a problem along the length of the solid orange colored wire - possibly intermittent.

My thought is to try a continuity test from end to end on the wire. Then have someone do some wiggle testing along the length. Determine if the connectivity is interrupted or lost.

Not a fan of generic type terminators (stranded/solid) but will defer to those who use them and are comfortable with brands and termination methods used for those connectors.

Ralston18

Titan
It could be "you" and it does take some practice to get terminations to correctly terminate.

However, "being you" that is not necessarily an immediate conclusion that can be made - least of all by me.

There are lots of factors involved.

FYI - just to provide a sense of what all is involved.

https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/selecting-the-correct-connector

Look around and try to find other terminators. Look at other already terminated and known working Ethernet cables.

Get a sense of how solid or flimsy the terminations/plugs feel. Some comparisons may help figure out what is going astray.

And someone else may provide additional ideas and suggestions. I have no problem with that.

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks. I'm at a complete loss. Just tried a female connector at one end. This time 1 though 7 worked. Not 8.

I've actually never seen this happen. I'm not an expert at terminating by any means, but usually after a couple tries the cable works. The short end worked when I terminated it first try.

I fed the cable through a conduit as well so it was an easy pull. Only other thing I can think of is to pull another length and terminate both ends of that and check before pulling it back through the ceiling using the existing one as a guide.

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
D*mn it. It has to be the cable. Just rolled out another 50' or so piece and instead of running it through the ceiling I terminated both ends first to check.

Same number 2 wire isn't registering on the test.

Ugh. Thought Monoprice was a reliable brand.

Stranded cable is much harder to get terminated. You need special ends that have a different type pins. Stranded ends have a pin that goes through the middle of the wire where solid cut the 2 sides.

Most ethernet cables is solid core especially stuff you run in the walls because stranded is only suppose to be used for patch cords. I am not sure if there is a difference in the length allowed by the standard or not between stranded cable and solid.

Now you can put the ends for solid wire on stranded cable it just is much harder to get good contact sometime.

My guess is this is just new user error. It takes lots of practice to make good ones consistently. Even guys who sit and make them all day long get bad ones from time to time.

This is why I recommend keystone jacks for any in wall install. Keystones are must easier to get installed because you can do 1 wire at a time and you can remove a wire and try again if one test bad.

Be aware keystone jacks are also designed for solid core wire you might have to find special ones for stranded wire.

Solution