Arturovski

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi,
I'm trying to find the perfect ethernet cable for my home. I have a 1gbps download speed and 500mbps upload. My computer is around 20 meters away from my main router, so I looked on the internet and saw that CAT6 cables were relatively cheap for that length, around 10 dollars. I went for CAT6 because I want to future-proof my home and CAT5 cables have a 1gbps max speed. I did, however, see that CAT6 cables support 10gbps only if they are in the range of 37 to 55 meters. Do shorter cables really reduce speed?

Solution
I'm running them in cable moldings. But are you saying that these cables are not what they say they are? Because online shops put a CAT6 behind the name.
You need to look past the CatNumber.

Solid copper, not CCA or stranded
Not "flat"
22AWG, not 26.

Good quality Cat6e will do 10gigabit out to 50 meters or so.

That is 150 feet (include corners, etc)
You need a LARGE house, or poor setup, to need more than a 150 foot run.

There is a LOT of substandard cable out there, especially at cheap prices.

Cat5e will do gigabit out to 100 meters.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
I'm trying to find the perfect ethernet cable for my home. I have a 1gbps download speed and 500mbps upload. My computer is around 20 meters away from my main router, so I looked on the internet and saw that CAT6 cables were relatively cheap for that length, around 10 dollars. I went for CAT6 because I want to future-proof my home and CAT5 cables have a 1gbps max speed. I did, however, see that CAT6 cables support 10gbps only if they are in the range of 37 to 55 meters. Is that true, and if it is, what advice would you give?
Cheap cables, no matter what number is after the "Cat", are very often worse than useless.
6/7/8....cheap cables are useless.

The 'perfect" cable is run in a conduit, so that you can run a new line later.

Reactions: cAllen

USAFRet

Titan
I'm running them in cable moldings. But are you saying that these cables are not what they say they are? Because online shops put a CAT6 behind the name.

Not "flat"
22AWG, not 26.

Solution

Arturovski

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016

Not "flat"
22AWG, not 26.

CAT6-U135 – 20 m CAT6 UTP Patch Kabel (RJ45) UTP Twisted pair 1:1 connected 200 MHz AWG 24 CCA Packed in polybag
Do you think this is good enough to do 2,5gbps?

Even cat5e can do 2.5g at 20m.
That cable is CCA. It might work and it might not. It is not actually certified to work. The main problem with those cables is the 2 types of metal expand and contract at different rates and the ends tend to internally get loose. It also can not carry PoE power as well.

In any case make sure you buy pure copper wire