Question cat6 wiring with only 100mbit

Jul 12, 2019
I am definitely sure this is not the first thread about slow network speeds, but I am pretty sure I ticked all the boxes, and still dont get the desired results.

I have a cat6 cable running from my gigabit router to my new cat6 patch panel (approx 30cm) -
from the patch panel I run a cat6 in-wall cable to a 8c8p wall jack in my office (approx 15m) -
and from the wall jack, I have anoter cat6 cable running to my gigabit switch (approx 7m) -

I installed the patch panel and the wall jack myself. But I tested the connection from the router to the wall jack with a cable tester and all 8 wires test fine.

...yet....
the switch in my office only shows a 100mbit connection.o_O

here is some pictures I took of the patch panel and the wall jack. Its the 3rd cable from the left on the panel.
Any ideas?

dq6f2_919qNoMQCfsFVjs_gBetp4symqLfJEX7yAQhIGBZrqBpl1HU_atguqWLdnd0WjS4mFRwi8TGBO3QVS9CNatmbxq9xqbXhcgmy5MvDZKAhNUOEnQHcboBF9KLCCrkt9fXLP7eFXiZptrIpvAkbCOnvjGHBoxJwCoeE78X0_cufQx3oiaawnxuPXnHoPBWOvnNXFz2xZgfyzjW1pODA-_MV_OgcBIJF_5JUTbdQEtETpxBjEl7Qr8TSpYw0uWY6G5X95f7xlnuJWOfe6UEliyzyMTN_Bh1Lh8G83t53U0lMu7xXGhfHTB-mmhGaNKuOMx9_tV0PKrm0Ru1LWg-NgR1F94dd25eEptbIwnnYNxjwWIzAdnJJHogAGe-eO-pBkC1MuiC9hMinn7Xy9MPYHWJYokr6HPsdeqUeF1Xw0_pTONBFExJU_fN1bJS6Ij1ZT3SS3jBo95tH-y8_yPV0eNW3bALpwCsb6PTKLNxuIxskzaRjr8HXqQQJB_XZv05FU9U26l45SE_p8749bgY6h9RtougYXFqlhPXpYdleS3tjOOwq5IVdRUkAqszaGnEtpneWPRrw5UG7_lUqybkftEEeh68JRvx_mZp1U18_vq2FcrzOMNNAZdGM0GaOjDWegtPhZs1J_aNw1opiVPgrKepZhxHC2=w1690-h1268-no

LyEY--cDRWt8-0ZPK9YtAdp-W1Z8XorIC4u4yX3TAH1nUt59EvrzdC-l95XhGc7EuYa4_bsCvE5x3GcagQBMUrllx6TRgMsHtI_f0LcDCPBJNkg25Ulg9-tEhyoqGQvP2UVQ3xagxTZAF7qMJ_l3CAT3zdmZO_gYUynyJ-qTRhJknz4SxcF2rJm7D9KfUzUI2NO7oNJtWsumk07I7-kbbKcdRnPYnOUE0S0FZtmnLwAf4ugSOXitaeGjllvbgG4mYksSUo5hn4ZkFLYBfdG9LMp4JM4ekkOFmhUFewpCtzPIHa9KTHMJac1qMQ5_iA3kMppIM9ABQx-fXkTBuOrL_jF0XDtC1UkaeletLFBV-773UocnlG4SXeLNVi25-CDB0VOHuIYy1KqOI8TrVOzgNUfj2MlvdwI5700nGvlGohcwmtdKOlVIG74zr-Zj044UR5MFJR5OnG5XoZeHcoeXKzL0EMKNclvqepHl1acH8JuBiyxE-CwBTq1POQcqeRJrY0HtHdMQ9py2GbgwWlmWUJBLebIKGASyw5Cux6KpJQIC_hO1NPg1xPld-9JagsMUPOJxG5uXD6xgwoRQR3P7iED2m9WRkQ_TNhITLIbozkV1dctlhj0VwhoujFI_D9RZp71slcF1BHJOEAJzrx4bcDfttbOSJaZz=w952-h1268-no

Last edited:
It depends what cable tester you used. What most can not do is see if you have the color pattern correct all they can say is pin 1- pin 1. If you do not have the pairs correctly arranged it will not work. Say you cabled it solid orange, solid green, instead of orange. orange/wht the tester would say all is fine but you likely can not pass data.

So first be 100% sure all 8 conductors work. Generally if 100mbps works it means pin 1,2,3,6 are good and the problem is on the other 4.

Jul 12, 2019
i updated the photos. hopefully they are now visible not only to me.
yes the continuity tester would do the trick. but a bit of an overkill for installing this one patch panel.
so you figure that there might be something odd with the in wall cable? its the only component that not installed by myself...
the ends were split into a ethernet and a phone jack. i figured that by rewiring into a 8c8p jack would give me gigabit speeds.

Jul 12, 2019
Are you certain that the computer connected to the switch --> router actually supports gigabit transfer rates?
yes. I have a wifi access point connected to the router. that gigabit. The edgerouter also shows the ethernet port connected to the patch panel as 100mbit only

Jul 12, 2019
It depends what cable tester you used. What most can not do is see if you have the color pattern correct all they can say is pin 1- pin 1. If you do not have the pairs correctly arranged it will not work. Say you cabled it solid orange, solid green, instead of orange. orange/wht the tester would say all is fine but you likely can not pass data.

So first be 100% sure all 8 conductors work. Generally if 100mbps works it means pin 1,2,3,6 are good and the problem is on the other 4.
I have updated the photos that were not showing for some reason. All wires are setup correctly on both ends.
That being said - this is my first ethernet wiring project.... I might have connected something very obviously wrong and just cant see it.

Jul 12, 2019

yes, the cable tester is indeed that basic.
But wouldnt it show as pin2 going to pin6 when wiring solid orange to solid green?
Anywho. The pictures (if they finally show) should show that this is not the case

Jul 12, 2019
I don't think your wires are ordered correctly.
https://www.warehousecables.com/landing/how-to-make-a-cat6-patch-cable.php
Note green straddles both blues.
at the patch panel's end? The two cable on the left were the first ones I did and therefore look mangled. I havent even tested those yet. The third one from the left is the one in question - and is the cleaner looking one.
You say that the wires should stay twisted in pairs, with the pairs not touching - and untwist just before the crimp?

at the patch panel's end? The two cable on the left were the first ones I did and therefore look mangled. I havent even tested those yet. The third one from the left is the one in question - and is the cleaner looking one.
You say that the wires should stay twisted in pairs, with the pairs not touching - and untwist just before the crimp?
your second image looks wrong, but i'm happy to be proven incorrect.

Looks correct to me. I have never seen jacks that use screws....what a pain to strip those tiny little wires.

Again this is why pros use fluke meters that can cost over $1000 for the better ones.

It must be something stupid like the wire makes just enough contact for the led to light but not pass data. All I can suggest is you remove the wires cut off a bit and try again. You might do them 1 at time. It has to be pin 4,5,7,8 that is causing the issue.

You could also check the jack to be sure there is not a bent wire.

Reactions: metter
Jul 12, 2019
Looks correct to me. I have never seen jacks that use screws....what a pain to strip those tiny little wires.

Again this is why pros use fluke meters that can cost over $1000 for the better ones.

It must be something stupid like the wire makes just enough contact for the led to light but not pass data. All I can suggest is you remove the wires cut off a bit and try again. You might do them 1 at time. It has to be pin 4,5,7,8 that is causing the issue.

You could also check the jack to be sure there is not a bent wire.
The wires look ok. No way to tell whats happening inside the wall though.
I'll redo brown and blue and see what happens. Will post the results.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, the few pro cablers I worked with never had the fancy meters, they just use the cheap continuity meters, but by observing how they do it, is like watching a trained chef making sushi, quick, efficient, hands move in some choreographed-like fashion. Watch them and go, ya, they are pros. :)

D

Deleted member 14196

Surprisingly, the few pro cablers I worked with never had the fancy meters, they just use the cheap continuity meters, but by observing how they do it, is like watching a trained chef making sushi, quick, efficient, hands move in some choreographed-like fashion. Watch them and go, ya, they are pros. :)
agreed, but still, $1000+ Flukes are NICE :) Wish I had one

I never really could play with them either. When they outsource the cable install function part of the contract said they had to provide certification results for each port. It was a way for them to prove they had tested every jack and they were functional before they left. Nothing that prevents them from testing the same jack over and over but they also did not want to have someone go all the way out to a site if we complained. Pretty much after that I only supervised installation never really got to do much hands on.

Jul 12, 2019
at least that excludes any obvious mistake.
I clearly was wrong declaring this to be no obvious mistake...
I am almost too embarrassed to post this.

There was in fact one more piece of kit in the chain I forgot to mention. the cable from the wall jack doesnt go straight to the switch. It first plugs in one of the two jacks of a devolo 500+ powerline adapter that sends internet down to my basement. I then ran a second cable from the other devolo jack to the switch.
I never mentioned this because - well, its always been there and I didnt waste a thought about it. The devolo supports 500bits over powerline, so I always figured the two jacks would be gigabit passthrough.
Well - they arent.
Unplugged the powerline adapter and ran the cable from the wall jack straight to the switch and - voila.

I clearly was wrong declaring this to be no obvious mistake...
I am almost too embarrassed to post this.

There was in fact one more piece of kit in the chain I forgot to mention. the cable from the wall jack doesnt go straight to the switch. It first plugs in one of the two jacks of a devolo 500+ powerline adapter that sends internet down to my basement. I then ran a second cable from the other devolo jack to the switch.
I never mentioned this because - well, its always been there and I didnt waste a thought about it. The devolo supports 500bits over powerline, so I always figured the two jacks would be gigabit passthrough.
Well - they arent.
Unplugged the powerline adapter and ran the cable from the wall jack straight to the switch and - voila.
It's a good lesson, glad it's sorted.