Catalyst Control Center fan speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I was wondering if there is any way to make CCC crank up my GPU's fan speed up to, say 45%, when playing a game; and when I'm done playing, it will automatically send it back down to 20%. I know CCC will automatically put the fan speed at what it sees fit with what the current temps are. But with that, I think the max it will allow my 5870 temps to go up to are something like 81 before upping the fan speed.

Solution
alex there is another option btw.

You can save profiles on CCC. Make two, one for gaming and one for 2d. You can make icons that can be double clicked, or hotkeys so it would be a simple case of pressing alt+1 for gaming speed, alt+2 for 2d speed.

That's a lot less hassle than using other software or manually changing the fan speed every time. I have two for my eyefinity setup and a single screen, it works like a charm.

jennyh

Splendid
alex there is another option btw.

You can save profiles on CCC. Make two, one for gaming and one for 2d. You can make icons that can be double clicked, or hotkeys so it would be a simple case of pressing alt+1 for gaming speed, alt+2 for 2d speed.

That's a lot less hassle than using other software or manually changing the fan speed every time. I have two for my eyefinity setup and a single screen, it works like a charm.

Solution

jennyh

Splendid
The really cool thing about the profiles is you can save every single setting on CCC.

Say if you wanted to run your card overclocked before playing a demanding game like Crysis, you could make a profile with an overclock, higher fan speed, and then make it automatically run Crysis too...all with the click of a button.

It's a lot easier than it sounds too, like filling out a form. You should check it out, profiles are probably the most neglected thing about CCC and they are really nice when you have them working well.

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

Thank you! I knew you could use profiles but I had no idea you could hotkey them.

derdepp

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I've noticed that ATI keeps the fan speed really low up to pretty high temperatures. Today, after playing straight for hours GPU Z read a maximum of 84C while fan speed never went above 30%. Is that good? Isn't my cards lifespan decreased at such temperatures? Now, I'm playing with fan speed set manually to 35% and so far, temps haven't gone above 78C. Should I keep on doing this, if I yet want to enjoy my card for some time?

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

I'm not sure if it's bad for the hardware or not, but I noticed the same thing my crossfire setup (6970 X2). The auto fan control seems to keep the fan speeds way too low for way too long. I also noticed bizarre graphical glitches - notably semi-transparent blue pixels on the screen no matter what window is up - when my primary adapter runs this hot for too long. I turned on the manual control (40%) and now I never get those weird graphical artifacts. I wish AMD would build some user-controls into the auto-mode like the ones found in a lot of newer BIOSes - the whole "under this temp fan-speed = x1, over this temp fan speed= x2" thing...

Cheers,
CList

amplifiedsilence

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
"""" I also noticed bizarre graphical glitches - notably semi-transparent blue pixels on the screen no matter what window is up - when my primary adapter runs this hot for too long. I turned on the manual control (40%) and now I never get those weird graphical artifacts.""""""

yes, confirmed. that happens to me too. thats why i'm here. i don't like having the manual fan running that loud. i'm guessing you might also have alienware fans on your system, and they operate on a curve like you describe that is adjustable manually. that works great, but doesn't cool my card. so, in order to keep alienware's GPU from overheating, i have to run CCC's fan so fast it sounds like my PC should be an air conditioning unit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.