Catalyst Control Center not opening WIndows 8.1

wiikid3000

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
AMD catalyst control center (ccc) is not opening, i tried everything. Including uninstalling, rebooting, install, reboot. Nothing works. Tried updating drivers, downloading updated drivers, running the official amd cleanup utility.
When i open ccc it hangs in the task manager and shows up as "Catalyst Control Center: Host application" and also "Catalyst Control Center: Monitoring program". If i run it again i get a "Catalyst Control Center: Command Line Interface"
Nothing pops up, no error message or icon in my notification tray.
Running Windows 8.1
Much appreciated if solved!!

Solution
I am a little suprised W8 doesn't have this on by default. Uninstall your CCC again and just use the Windows graphics driver temporarily. Your Windows disc should have a system repair choice. Put the W8 disk in like you are going to do a fresh install and it will detect the OS already there, and give you a choice to repair system files. Give that a try. IF you installed any specific new software that you can easily uninstall and re-install afterwards, that could also help. Get the OS as close to original before you do the system repair. If you get this figured out and resolved with CCC, make sure you set up System Restore, preferably on an outboard HD and a dedicated partition. Do weekly backups and turn it on whenever you...

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I would start with system restore. Go back to a date before all this happened, when things were still working properly and then then try again. it will uninstall any Windows updates you have done since the restore date. When you first installed CCC, Windows System Restore should have automatically made a restore point, before it installed the new graphics driver. Find that date and start over from there. W8 is a bit different ( I had to look it up to make sure it was still available! ) than W7, so here is a link to help you use it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
If this fixes your issues, you will need to manually go to Windows Updates and allow their system to re-install any uninstalled updates. If there are lots of them, re-install them in blocks of 5, if there are only a few install them one at a time and then check to make sure things are still good. There may be a single Windows update that is causing your problem.

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I just read a bit farther into the W8 System Restore and you may be restoring your computer back to a Windows 8.0 system. If this happens, just re-install 8.1 in from the Windows Update Site! The Upgrade is evidently just a large update! I would still try to make sure you can use CCC in W8 and then upgrade your computer back to 8.1.

wiikid3000

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

If I were to do a restore it would bring me back to 8.1. I built this PC and installed all the drivers and software discs. Is there any other way or should i just restore?

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I am a little suprised W8 doesn't have this on by default. Uninstall your CCC again and just use the Windows graphics driver temporarily. Your Windows disc should have a system repair choice. Put the W8 disk in like you are going to do a fresh install and it will detect the OS already there, and give you a choice to repair system files. Give that a try. IF you installed any specific new software that you can easily uninstall and re-install afterwards, that could also help. Get the OS as close to original before you do the system repair. If you get this figured out and resolved with CCC, make sure you set up System Restore, preferably on an outboard HD and a dedicated partition. Do weekly backups and turn it on whenever you update a driver since the OS will automatically create another restore file. The first time you use System Restore on an outboard HD partition, System Restore will create an entire system image and then the weekly file updates. If you do this you won't ever have this type of problem again.

Solution