Catalyst install manager has stopped working (4850, vista 64, 9.11)

gonintendo

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I am trying to install the latest drivers for my 4850 on my vista x64 system but the installer crashes. apparently this is a pretty common problem, but I haven't found a fix yet. I am currently on version 9.7. I am afraid to uninstall my current drivers because if it doesn't work, I would have to reinstall vista.

Solution
Installing new ATI Drivers and CCC without totally removing the old Drivers and CCC is known to cause problems.
See your link (Step 4) http://www.geekmontage.com/texts/how-to-fix-catalyst-install-manager-has-stopped-working-resolved/

Removing the old ATI Graphics Drivers and Software(CCC) will not cause you to have to reinstall Windows.

See my previous post for the prefered method.

gonintendo

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
thank you. before reading your post though, I stumbled upon this site and it worked. apparently the driver uses some form of C++ that visual studio 2008 wrote over, and this fixes that http://www.geekmontage.com/texts/how-to-fix-catalyst-install-manager-has-stopped-working-resolved/

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Installing new ATI Drivers and CCC without totally removing the old Drivers and CCC is known to cause problems.
See your link (Step 4) http://www.geekmontage.com/texts/how-to-fix-catalyst-install-manager-has-stopped-working-resolved/

Removing the old ATI Graphics Drivers and Software(CCC) will not cause you to have to reinstall Windows.

See my previous post for the prefered method.

Solution

leon2006

Distinguished
Install/Un-install procedure for CCC @ command prompt environment:

Un-install ATI driver
==============

@ command prompt execute the following instructions
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –uninstall”

This will remove the current or older ATI driver on your PC. Wait for the process to complete.

The Font will get big as the OS will revert to default VGA driver. This is expected or normal just as when installing windows for the 1st time.

Reboot your machine after the completion of the process

Install ATI driver
============

@ command prompt execute the following instructions
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –install – output screen”

This will install thew ATI driver on your PC. You will see DOTS on the command prompt terminal. Wait for the process to complete.

When done the ATI CCC installation log will come-up to detail the installation summary.

Reboot your machine

Configure your graphic settings when you log in.

Notes:

1) @ command prompt type ”ATIsetup.exe -?” it will give you the list options for the ATIsetup.exe installation program

2) 9-Rev is whatever revision of ATI driver you are using (i.e. 9-10).