[SOLVED] Catastrophe. Failed driver update. Black screen. Advice?

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I attempted to update drivers via geforce experience. I always do a clean install. So I made the seemingly unimportant decision to do just that. A terrible decision indeed. A decision that yielded quite undesirable results. I face now a tragedy worthy of Shakespeare's pen. My stupid pc froze during the required restart to finish updating the stupid drivers and now I have no display because said stupid drivers didn't finish their stupid update.

My stupid cpu (i7 10700kf) has no integrated graphics because stupid me wanted to save $15 by getting the stupid KF sku instead of the K sku which has an igpu that I could have used to install drivers manually and troubleshoot this stupid issue. My thoughts on this are as follows and please correct me if I'm mistaken but there are only two ways to solve this:

• First option is to buy/borrow a 10th/11th gen cpu with integrated graphics to install in my pc to troubleshoot this then swap my cpu back in (major headache).
  • Second option is to install my gpu to another pc with integrated graphics to update drivers then install it back in my pc.

Would option two work or not? I'm not sure if driver installs are stored in the gpu or the system. Are they basically vbios updates or do they need some files in the operating system too?

Simplified form. Do I need to update the drivers using the system which the gpu is meant to be used with?

Solution
Can I boot in to safe mode without a display signal?
You should get a display in safe mode unless your graphics card has failed.
On powering on, spam del or f2 and you should see the bios screen.
That will prove that your gpu/monitor setup is ok.

Assuming you got a display, restart, spamming f8 and you should be able to enter safe mode with networking.

Lutfij

Titan
I attempted to update drivers via geforce experience.
You update drivers for your GPU(among other devices in your build) manually.

You're advised to download the latest drivers off of Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to remove all remnants of GPU drivers, then manually reinstall said downloaded driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.'

Make and model of your motherboard?

Second option is pointless, you will need to either look for a processor compatible with your motherboard with an iGPU or source a donor GPU to help get display and use DDU, then remove the donor GPU and then drop your GPU in. Also, what is the make and model of your PSU? Age of the PSU in question?

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I attempted to update drivers via geforce experience.
You update drivers for your GPU(among other devices in your build) manually.

You're advised to download the latest drivers off of Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to remove all remnants of GPU drivers, then manually reinstall said downloaded driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.'

Make and model of your motherboard?

Second option is pointless, you will need to either look for a processor compatible with your motherboard with an iGPU or source a donor GPU to help get display and use DDU, then remove the donor GPU and then drop your GPU in. Also, what is the make and model of your PSU? Age of the PSU in question?
Motherboard is an msi mpg z590 gaming carbon wifi. Psu is a cheap 1000 watt. Not name brand. I got it in June of 2020. Got it online from walmart. What is DDU? This is my first build since the z87 chipset era

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Motherboard is an msi mpg z590 gaming carbon wifi. Psu is a cheap 1000 watt. Not name brand. I got it in June of 2020. Got it online from walmart. What is DDU? This is my first build since the z87 chipset era
I actually just remembered that I have a cpu with integrated graphics on hand. I'm building a pc for a relative for her birthday. Got an i3-10320 in the mail. It's 10th gen so it's compatible. Could you list out the steps to take to do a proper clean install of the drivers? I'm on windows 10.

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
You should get a display in safe mode unless your graphics card has failed.
On powering on, spam del or f2 and you should see the bios screen.
That will prove that your gpu/monitor setup is ok.

Assuming you got a display, restart, spamming f8 and you should be able to enter safe mode with networking.
I tried getting in bios using the del/f2 method. Nothing happens. I'll try switching from dp cable to hdmi when I get home to see if it works. Sometimes I can't get to bios using dp cable (I have no clue why). I also boot from an nvme thats dedicated to the os alone. It boots so fast you got to be quick with the spamming. If nothing else I still have the i3 10320 with integrated graphics and a few drops of kryonaut left so I can swap cpus to troubleshoot. I hope the gpu didn't mess up from the failed update. I got that 1070 for $245. They're going for twice that and more now😅

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Also, check that your monitor input corresponds to the connection to the gpu.
In the future, there is usually a bios setting to delay boot.
Something like 2-3 seconds would be about right.
Yeah I was just thinking about disabling fast boot. When I turn my pc on I'm already at the homescreen by the time my monitor comes on. I haven't seen the "Press f2 or delete to enter setup" screen in months and even if I spam a key to enter bios it won't let me unless the monitor is already displaying when the setup screen comes up. I have to shift+restart to enter bios. If the monitor is connected by dp cable it won't go to bios. Hdmi will work but now when I turn my monitor on I can't open the menu to set my display source to hdmi because the monitor turns back off because its not receiving a display signal. They really should let you enter monitor settings without a display signal smh. So again, thank God for that sweet little 10320 I ordered to build a birthday pc lol. If not for it I'd be in a much worse situation.