Cature card with IR blaster for TV recording

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hi. I am looking to record TV my Directv/Comcast STB. I do not wish to rent a DVR from the companies, so I would like to use a capture card. The main use would be to schedule unattended recordings, so I would think that I would need an IR blaster. I would also like an EPG to choose my recordings, if possible. I've recently looked into the Hauppuage Colossus 1 & 2, and the PVR 2 1512.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I would assume that DirectTV would use HDCP copy protection to stop their stream from being copy and any legit capture card usually can't pass HDCP because they are recording devices, which is what HDCP is meant to prevent. That or it would downstream the quality to like 480p or something.

You also realize that you need a PC running full time, so you're spending money on power for that, as well as the receiver running all the time too, and with a capture card you can only record what you're watching, if it works for reasons stated above. You then need software, the EPG as you said from somewhere. You can also only record one thing at a time.

My old PVR for my cable, could record like 4xHD streams at once and do it all while turned off in low power mode.

The concept of doing it is cool, but in reality, a lot of software to setup, finding a EPG stream that doesn't go down, extra power, and again, if the HDCP doesn't get in the way.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Neither of those cards will allow you to record cable or satellite broadcasts. To my knowledge, there is no way to use a PC to record satellite television, but you could use a cablecard, available from Comcast and a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 or a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime cablecard tuner device. These devices, in conjunction with a rented cablecard from Comcast would allow you to record cable broadcasts.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
@getochkn - Until it died last year, my HTPC ran a Ceton InfiniTV4 cablecard tuner that allowed me to record up to four HD channels, simultaneously. That PC was initially running an AMD Athlon X2-240 with 8GB of RAM and a Radeon HD2600Pro graphics card installed. That system also ran Windows 7 Home Premium 24/7/365 and Windows Media Center included a third party EPG.

I would think one of the cards/devices I listed above would do just as well running Kodi on Windows 10.

-Wolf sends

Yes, using a card from the company, I could see it working as they're allowing it. didn't know they still made those. lol I tried not to say for sure it wouldn't work the way the OP wanted, but I know HDCP isn't nice. lol.

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

What PVR did you use?
Do you have any other setup suggestions? I would like to stay around $150. (I already have the PC)