Question Cause of burnt PCB?

Jun 1, 2019
I turned on my PC after installing a new SATA drive, and suddenly it gave me a burning plastic smell. Weird thing is that the burnt PCB was from different SATA drive that was originally installed.

ELSeTHL.jpg

aAIXJ9Y.jpg

This is the hard drive that was burnt
I really don't know the cause of this.

PJgJJdx.jpg

That is where I normally connect my SATA cable.

cn9CMBT.jpg
cn9CMBT

That is where I connect my dvd drive, and where I connected the new SATA drive.

In total, I had three SATA drive connected to this motherboard. Three of them worked once when I first connected them. But on the second turn where I disconnected and reconnected every cable on the same place, it caused burning. What is the cause? and what can I do to prevent something like this to be happen again?

Can I be able to recover data from this hard drive?

Help would me appreciated.

Last edited:
I would check the TVS diodes and zero-ohm resistor:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/BF41-00205B_TVS.jpg

TVS diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

The failed components are the motor controller and the -5V switchmode regulator for the preamp (on the headstack). I suspect that the preamp may be damaged, in which case the heads would need to be replaced. That's not a DIY job.

You can test the preamp by measuring the resistance between ground and the negative end of the B240 diode. Do this with the PCB on and off the drive. Also measure the resistance between the zero ohm resistor and ground, with the PCB on and off the drive. This will test the resistance at the preamp's +5V and -5V supplies.

the drive with the burnt chip on the PCB is quite done for, barring some sort of donor PCB swap affair from a compatible unit....

I'd ditch the SATA power and/or data cables on the unit that burned, something sure caused it; if it was a y connection from a PSU, perhaps one end had a short that only showed once the unused portion was connected to an additional drive. (if a modular PSU, make sure SATA Pwr cable is for that specific PSU)

Jun 1, 2019
Thanks for the replies. Although, fzabkar, I don't have those tools to check the hard drive.
I still don't know the cause of it, but as mdd1963 said, I threw away the SATA cable and decided not to use the port on the motherboard that caused the burn.

I might try to swap PCB from ebay PCBs. It only costs $15 and I have soldering iron, so I would be able to swap BIOS too. Again, thanks for the help.