[SOLVED] Cause of CPU bottleneck, would a new motherboard fix it ?

Feb 28, 2023
i am experiencing fps bottleneck in CPU-intensive games, how do i know what causes it ?

Specs:
Gigabyte B450M S2H
1660 Super OC and
Ryzen 5 2400G ,
16GB RAM 2666mhz
Windows 10

Solution
Does it mean it doesn't deliver enough power to my processor and motherboard or something? I think i do not quite understand, could you explain it to me?

It means that it uses extremely cheap parts and has a design decades out of date, so has poor protections, poor voltage regulation and incompetent filtering, and your PC's components, especially at the GPU have been at risk every minute you use it. It's junk. You shouldn't be talking about any upgrade while this is in your system. I certainly wouldn't want to bet on your current GPU living as long as it otherwise would have (so if you ever sell it, I hope you're honest and disclose what PSU you were using with it).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You actually could benefit from a CPU upgrade, not a motherboard change. Prior to that processor upgrade, you could look into a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit, that should give you an uplift though that APU won't get you very far. No, you don't need a motherboard change. What BIOS version are you on for the motherboard at this moment of time?

bottleneck in CPU-intensive games, how do i know what causes it?
You said it yourself. It's the CPU.

Feb 28, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You actually could benefit from a CPU upgrade, not a motherboard change. Prior to that processor upgrade, you could look into a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit, that should give you an uplift though that APU won't get you very far. No, you don't need a motherboard change. What BIOS version are you on for the motherboard at this moment of time?

bottleneck in cpu bound games, how do i know what causes it?
You said it yourself. It's the CPU.
i am currently running bios on Gigabyte, and thank you

Your cpu is not very capable for most games.
Run the cpu-z bench test and look at the single thread rating.
You should be getting about 331:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/3adp6j
The single thread performance of the master thread is most important for gaming.

Ryzen performance is dependent on fast ram. 2666 speed is functional, but not fast.

Once past the cpu limitation, the graphics capability of the integrated graphics will be the next limitation.
This may be needed for fast action games.
Most any discrete graphics card will perform better.

Do you have the budget to make a change?

Feb 28, 2023
Your cpu is not very capable for most games.
Run the cpu-z bench test and look at the single thread rating.
You should be getting about 331:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/3adp6j
The single thread performance of the master thread is most important for gaming.

Ryzen performance is dependent on fast ram. 2666 speed is functional, but not fast.

Once past the cpu limitation, the graphics capability of the integrated graphics will be the next limitation.
This may be needed for fast action games.
Most any discrete graphics card will perform better.

Do you have the budget to make a change?
1660 super is fine for now since i mostly play FPS games which are cpu bound , i got a $400 budget for an upgrade so after seeing these replies i was planning to buy a ryzen 5 5600x to pair with the 1660 oc would that be a good choice? do i need to buy 2 3200mhz ram cards or do i need to overclock my current ones?

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Do not count on being able to oc 2666 ram.
Ram chips are binned, and the better chips are used in faster ram that can be sold for more.
Yes, you can try to overclock your ram past specified speeds, but do not count on it.
Gains are not worth the instability that might arise.
You might get higher speed, but at the cost of higher latency which will offset any speed benefit.

What is the make/model of your psu?
Is it capable of supporting a stronger discrete graphics card?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Yes, IMO going to something like the 5600/5700X level should be a great refresh for this machine. As mentioned above, it wouldn't hurt to have faster RAM, but would get the CPU first. Consider your case airflow and cooling option for fit and function.

Just to be sure, you have a decent PSU already?

Feb 28, 2023
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Do not count on being able to oc 2666 ram.
Ram chips are binned, and the better chips are used in faster ram that can be sold for more.
Yes, you can try to overclock your ram past specified speeds, but do not count on it.
Gains are not worth the instability that might arise.
You might get higher speed, but at the cost of higher latency which will offset any speed benefit.

What is the make/model of your psu?
Is it capable of supporting a stronger discrete graphics card?
FPS is the still the same, just experience lots of framedrops from 120fps to 50fps on native and lower res, especially when a full team of 5 starts shooting my way, then it drops to a solid point that doesnt gets above 30fps.In Valorant btw. I have a Thermaltake Hamburg Pro 550W PSU,

Feb 28, 2023
Yes, IMO going to something like the 5600/5700X level should be a great refresh for this machine. As mentioned above, it wouldn't hurt to have faster RAM, but would get the CPU first. Consider your case airflow and cooling option for fit and function.

Just to be sure, you have a decent PSU already?
ah thanks, yeah 550w thermaltake hamburg pro think that's enough

Feb 28, 2023
Yikes, that's a horribly cheap, group-regulated unit, not even 450W of +12V power, which would be embarrassing on a 550W PSU in 2005. This is a way bigger concern than a CPU bottleneck.

Does it mean it doesn't deliver enough power to my processor and motherboard or something? I think i do not quite understand, could you explain it to me ?

DSzymborski

Titan
Does it mean it doesn't deliver enough power to my processor and motherboard or something? I think i do not quite understand, could you explain it to me?

It means that it uses extremely cheap parts and has a design decades out of date, so has poor protections, poor voltage regulation and incompetent filtering, and your PC's components, especially at the GPU have been at risk every minute you use it. It's junk. You shouldn't be talking about any upgrade while this is in your system. I certainly wouldn't want to bet on your current GPU living as long as it otherwise would have (so if you ever sell it, I hope you're honest and disclose what PSU you were using with it).

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Feb 28, 2023
Okay, i understand, what PSU would you recommend me buying? like a 650w corsair 80+ gold?