Cause of High latency??

KESH JHOOMUCK

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
6 month ago, ive bought a new CPU (its the i5 3470). Also ive bought a second-hand motherboard (MSI H61M-P25 (B3)). i was playing bf4 on a latency of 90ms(this is my best latency in my country), but after 2 month its went from 90 to 315. i've called my ISP they tested my phone line but there was no error. My download/ upload speed are both normal. It happens on all online games and i can't play anymore. Is there an issue with the motherboard? BTW im using CAT5 cable not Wi-Fi(Which was also swap with a new one). Thanks for replying.

Full specs:
i5 3470(stock clock)
MSI H61-M P25 B3
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Sapphire R9 280X Toxic
HDD1: WD Blue 250GB( C: )
HDD2: WD Green 1.5TB

Solution
The main question seems to be, where are the servers he's trying to connect to. I assumed that because his pings used to be 90ms and assuming "nothing else" hasn't changed, like his friends moving, then either the servers have moved or the route has changed.

I just noticed he said 20kb upload, that's slower than a 28.8kb modem from 20 years ago. Probably better off with a 33.6kb dial-up modem. Unless he meant KB, then 100KB down and 20KB up isn't "that" bad. Would work good enough for low bandwidth video games, as long as nothing else is happening on the network.

4745454b

Titan
Latency is caused by the bandwidth you have, and how far away you are from the server you connect to. (system does play a part, but you seem to have one that's good enough.) I'd make sure you have the newest driver for your NIC, and measure with a speed testing site to make sure you are getting what you are paying for. Finally, make sure you connect to "local" servers. I play my favorite video game on a server that's ~300mi from me, and get a ping of ~30-45ms most of the time . If I were to pick one that was farther away it would go up.

KESH JHOOMUCK

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013

The same server before it was around 90 and now 315, there's no local servers :( speedtest also is 300+ Singapore servers are the best for me. My neighbour's ping is better than me on the same server :/

KESH JHOOMUCK

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013

Its DSL my download is 100kbps and upload is 20kbps, with the same connection its was 90ms before, my friends don't have any problem and they have the same type of connection and live in the same area.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Distance does make a difference, but not nearly as much as you think. I live in the midwest USA and I get these pings:

My Firewall: 0.04ms
My ISP: 0.35ms
Chicago: 8ms <-- 300 miles
Washington DC: 27ms <-- 950 miles
Atlanta: 31ms <-- 966 miles
Dallas: 31ms <-- 1,060 miles
New York City: 31ms <-- 1,040 miles
Miami: 42ms <-- 1,600 miles
Los Angeles: 61ms <-- 2,100 miles
London: 100ms
Paris: 105ms
Frankfurt, Germany: 115ms
Zurich, Switzerland: 118ms
Japan: 148ms
Moscow: 165ms
Dubai, United Arab Emirates: 213ms
China: 215ms
Delhi, India: 235ms
Siberia, Russia: 243ms
Cape Town, South Africa: 244ms
Singapore: 255ms

A 315ms ping is pretty bad.

4745454b

Titan
I can tell from his name that he isn't in the USA. So if he was trying to join friends playing in the USA or some other continent then he'd be getting the pings like you did trying to reach Dubai or China. Nothing will change that.

I think his down is much to small to get good speeds. But he says his neighbor is ok. I'm getting frustrated dealing with him though as I keep saying things without feedback/replies. I/we still don't know what speeds he's getting. We just found out he's paying for 100kpbs, but we have no idea what he's getting. Hopefully if he tests his speed he'll remember to not be using any bandwidth, but I'm not sure about this.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
The main question seems to be, where are the servers he's trying to connect to. I assumed that because his pings used to be 90ms and assuming "nothing else" hasn't changed, like his friends moving, then either the servers have moved or the route has changed.

I just noticed he said 20kb upload, that's slower than a 28.8kb modem from 20 years ago. Probably better off with a 33.6kb dial-up modem. Unless he meant KB, then 100KB down and 20KB up isn't "that" bad. Would work good enough for low bandwidth video games, as long as nothing else is happening on the network.

Solution