Question Cause of motherboard damage?

cheesler

Prominent
Feb 8, 2019
I built a new PC earlier this month and it was working great, however, a few days ago I tried plugging earbuds into the headphone jack (which I've done before no problem) and felt a shock. A notification said something about "a USB device wasn't recognized properly" and I saw a small orange glow on the motherboard through the glass side panel, followed by a burning smell. Aside from this, everything seemed to be working, but I immediately shut the system down and haven't powered it back on since. Removing the side panel, I found where the glow came from; some burnt looking metal bits above the JUSB2 header.

What could have possibly caused this? At first I thought that maybe I had a static charge built up on myself that somehow transferred through the headphone jack, but I haven't found anything about people shocking their motherboards from outside the case. I did find that the bluetooth cable connecting to the JUSB1 header is slightly brushing against a chip on the board, but it probably was doing that since I built the thing, so I'm not sure if that's relevant or not.

Here is a picture of the board for reference: View: https://imgur.com/a/XTPBHoV